Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BigSlam and Jesse's Ozark Adventure: The Story...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.” – Fred Bear

The quest for an outdoor experience capable of cleansing my soul started a few years ago on a cold December duck hunt. Amidst the comeback calls and bacon sizzling on the stove, conversation drifted to an out of state hunt. The usual discussion of Illinois, Kansas, the Dakotas and Montana were entertained. After some research, Missouri revealed itself to be quite the candidate for a combo duck and deer hunt. With hundreds of thousands of acres of public hunting grounds and reasonably price non-resident tags, the Show Me State quickly found itself the destination for an adventure to be remembered for a lifetime. But as life is apt to do, it got in the way and the trip was postponed. When I got laid off last November, it was the furthest thing from my mind. Not until this spring when I was back to work, did I decide that it was now or never. Tomorrow is not guaranteed and if I didn’t make it happen this year, it may never happen. Unfortunately my buddy who wanted to go on this trip was at a point in his life where the timing wasn’t right and he made the tough, but correct decision to stay home with his family. With his vacancy, I needed at the very least one co-pilot, and I wasn’t opposed to even more joining us. I extended the invite to a few guys and as it turns out, only Chad (BigSlam51) was crazy enough to join me on an expedition to the Ozark Mountains and the Current River in southern Missouri. Before we left, I bought a Steven Ambrose novel on Lewis and Clark to have on my Kindle. Reading about their journey while immersed in the beauty of a region steeped in adventure, thrill and peril only enhanced the experience. Walking to the stand with the real threat of bears, boars and mountain lions is nothing to scoff at down there, even today. While reading about the preparation for their legendary journey, I received sneak peaks of what that region was like in 1800 and it was the frontier; a reality hard to express in words. The Ozarks have somewhat been tamed by man, but still offer a remoteness and wildness that you simply will not find here in Ohio. So on a journey more about the experience than the exploration, I scrubbed my soul and returned a better version of the man I want to be.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016: Successful launch of our expedition occurred at 8:37AM EST. Travel across our beautiful state originated in Washington County and ended in Preble County. Ohio offers a stark contrast of topography and habitat when traveling across Routes 32, 35 and I-70. Indiana was next, followed by Illinois. While beautiful in their own right along the I-70 corridor, it becomes a bit of a monotonous drive. Only when we reach St. Louis, the trading center of the westward expansion and early days of the fur trade, does it sink in that we’re about to enter a new territory. Familiar hardwoods begin to contain more cedar and less maple. Rich, loamy soils give way to a rockier façade. Rural begins to take on a whole new connotation. By dark, we are in Ellington, MO and in the heart of Mark Twain National Forest, and bound for the Logyard, a primitive campground situated on the banks of the Current River. Shortly before 8PM CST, we roll in to camp. By 9, we are enjoying a fire and making plans for a morning of scouting. The hard ground provides a nice contrast to a Sealy Posturepedic. Sleep alludes…

Thursday November 3, 2016: Dawn breaks and we are on the move by 7:15. Coffee is a must. The plan for the day is scouting, but the boots on the ground kind. We’d done our homework. Hours of studying maps and narrowing down thousands of acres surrounding us in to a few chosen spots that would require further inspection was done on Google Earth. Apps on our phones allowed for GPS navigation using aerial and USGS quadrangle maps. We also purchased full size USGS topo maps to take along. But that only tells part of the story. We have two fairly new pairs of Danner boots that needed put to work.

Stop one was a green field tucked in a bottom next to the river. Thick blocks of cedar sat adjacent to the field and sign was among the best we found the entire trip. The first sign that the acorn crop was far from advertised revealed itself after a quick trip through the adjacent hardwoods on the high side of the field. As it turned out, the acorn crop was a bust and unless you found a Post Oak, chances were slim you would find acorns despite the abundance of oak trees, especially white oak. This spot was worth a hunt at some point.

Stop two meant launching the canoe and going across the river to explore 3 large food plots totaling 8-10 acres. After making it to the far bank, we fought through a jungle of a river bottom to reach the largest of the 3 fields. We about soiled ourselves when we first saw the shredded pine tree in the middle of the field. We quickly realized it had to be a bear or elk, then found fresh elk droppings that confirmed we had the potential to see elk here. This spot was definitely worth a hunt, and in fact, we’ll be back later!

We then spent some time checking out the neighborhood, buying firewood from a gentlemen that we later named Wet Wood Carl after he old us the wettest firewood in 3 counties, ate lunch and returned for our evening hunt by early afternoon. After a second successful canoe crossing, we both set up on the ground along the edges of our respective fields. Me on the larger field, Chad on a smaller, more secluded field further down the river bottom. When we reconvened after dark, Chad was all smiles as he relayed his encounter with 3 elk: a bull, cow and a calf. We would joke later in the trip that Chad saw 3 of an estimated 200 total elk in ALL of Missouri on the first hunt, but couldn’t see a deer from stand! He did see a doe that night as well, but that would end his deer sightings from the stand for the trip. I saw one doe and after stalking her to the middle field, came to full draw at last light. Deciding it didn’t feel right, I let down. Success was had on hunt #1.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Friday, November 4, 2016: The decision was made around the camp fire to set up on a small food plot just down the road from camp where we saw a flock of turkeys on our scouting trip. Turns out there are a lot of turkeys in southern Missouri. If not for them, it might be kind of boring down there!

We awoke to a heavy fog that we tried to wait out to no avail. Time to do some more scouting. After looking at the maps, we’d identified a network of trails a little NW of camp that provided access to a 6K acre block of ground and it was almost entirely trees. The only exception were several bottom fields planted in oats/clover, or allowed to revert to CRP style ground. We wanted to try our hand at sitting in a ridge saddle, or a pinch point where several topographical features converged. After confirming the trails were navigable, most in 2WD, we decided to return for an evening hunt and we’d leave our stands for Saturday morning’s hunt.

The evening hunt resulted in zero sightings, but it was beautiful. The solitude and peacefulness of the area begin to reveal themselves on this hunt. We both have excitement for what the next hunt may bring and we head back to camp. We have a dinner invite to deer camp being hosted by some locals camped down on the river. It would be rude for us not to attend.

We spent time with Mr. Gary Hathcoat, his son Hunter and another gentlemen whose name alludes me. All were great people and it was an awesome experience. Anticipating the opportunity to trade, like any good explorer, I took some good liquor with me (my apple pie) and we traded for a dinner of fresh, fried venison served with fried taters and onions. We played a game of cornhole (failing to live up to our reputations as “master cornholers”), then listened to the “half famous” Hunter Hathcoat play guitar and sing around the fire, all while on a sandbar of the Current River deep in the Ozark mountains. It was better than any banjo you might here while back in those parts!

We retired with full bellies and heavy anticipation for cooler temps and hopefully, better deer movement. The ground gets harder by the night. And it gets cold…

Saturday, November 5, 2016: We are up at 5AM. It is cold, but the coffee is hot and the mile long walks to the stands we left in the woods the night before will keep us warm for the time being. The hunts look like this: Chad got skunked. I laid a goose egg. Shortly after day break, I had cooled down enough to finish getting dressed. While I was putting on my vest, a spike came down the ridge and gave me a beautiful 25 yard broadside shot… which I proceeded to miss after my still unzipped vest got caught in my string. So for the second time in my career, a collar cost me a deer. You’d think I would learn, but as they say (and Chad loves this), it was all the fun without the mess.

We pull our sets and meet back at the truck around noon. After looking at the maps, we decide to leave the mountain tops and head for the river bottoms. Driving to the bottom, we discovered an old homestead that sits in the middle of a network of overgrown fields. Imagine Current River, strip of river bottom, CRP, hardwoods with a flatter area paralleling the CRP, then rising 900’ in fairly short order. Deciding it best to approach the fields from the ridge, we descended from the ridge to hang stands along the edges of the CRP. After a somewhat treacherous trip down the hills navigating rock ledges and the ever present granite mini-boulders, we arrived at our stand sites. Hanging our mobile sets overlooking different fields that we separated by an 80 yard strip of woods, we climbed back up the mountain and returned to camp for lunch.

Baths in the Current River are cold. Excruciatingly so. But they sure do help. Somewhat.

The evening hunt requires a green food source in the bottomlands after temps rise in to the low 70s. After splitting up to cover different fields just down the road from camp, we enjoy an evening free of deer and amble in bugs. Hunting in rugged, remote terrain in a county with 10-15 deer per square mile means even a clover field tucked away next to thick cover doesn’t see deer all that often. Time for pizza.

Sunday, November 6, 2016: We return to our CRP stands anticipating an eventful hunt. I saw a squirrel. Chad, a turkey or two. I couldn’t stand it any longer and got down at 10:30. There is a remarkable lack of deer sign even in areas where you’d think there would be deer. I meandered down to the river and sat on a rock for a few minutes to reflect. My soul received a good scrubbing on that rock. Maybe this place ain’t so bad after all.

Reheated pizza and boneless wings for lunch is clutch on Day 5. Not the best I have ever had, but it’ll do. I just need something to tide me over until we can fry up the New York strips be bought in town the other night.

For the evening hunt, we decide to do it the hard way one last time: Launch the canoe and head to the other side of the river. We saw deer there on the first hunt, let’s finish the same way. Chad surely benefited from a filled Ohio tag as the deer avoided him like the fawns I saw being chased by a forkhorn that night. I also put the stalk on a doe in the wide open field, once again coming to full draw at last light. At 38 yards, I could not decipher top from bottom on her chest through my peep. I ended my hunt like I started it, letting off full draw. My cooler was empty, my heart was full and I was ready to go home a new man.

After loading the canoe, we sat on the banks of the river looking at a sky full of stars brighter than I’ve ever seen. Venus appearing like a 1K lumen spotlight next to the moon. We were in the heart of the frontier, even in 2016. We ventured to a new land and gave our best, but our best wasn’t enough. Once again I was reminded of who is in control and contrary to popular belief, it is not us. Those mountains, that river, they renewed my being. This trip was all I’d hoped for and more than expected.

Special thanks to Chad, our wives and the support of you all. Without the support of our wives and families, we do not get to partake in this adventure. Chad, thank you for not only going, but more than pulling your weight. If the shit ever hits the fan and we form a Zombie Apocalypse team, you’re on the call list! As Sturgill would say: “ Well some day you kill it and some days you just choke; Some days you blast off and some days you just smoke; Well now maybe I do and maybe I don’t; Everybody says they’ll be there but in the end, y’all know they won’t…” Thanks for being there brother!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be on shortly to chime in but for now my wife wanted me to thank you for bringing me along on the great ozark expedition!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
https://youtu.be/ErM4hGwVixU

And the "half famous" Hunter Hathcoat! We really enjoyed his music while eating fresh venison, taters, and onions with the good ol boys on the banks of the Current River. Hunter is sending me his album in the mail, pretty excited to jam it in the truck! Look him up on Facebook under Hunter Hathcoat Music.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome recap guys, thanks for taking us along for the ride....

Note: suspend canoe over campfire, fill with water.... get to comfortable temps, remove and bathe away lol....

Last edited: