Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your ccw of choice?

rsmith

I have recently been looking into getting my ccw, just turned 21 a couple months ago and was curious as to what ever one else was carrying. I am looking for something that is a nice carrying gun and also a home defence so maybe a 9mm or 40. I have a Springfield 1911 as well but that is to big for me to conceal carry. I was looking at the Smith and Wesson shield 9mm or a glock 43 for something single stack, slim, and easy to conceal in waist band but also something I can use in a home defence situation. Any input would be great, and for a price point let's say under 400 dollars as I'm still a kid going to college full time and working part time. I was also looking at 9mm as I know a guy that reloads 9mm so it would be easy for me to get ammo to plink around with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
M&P Shield in 9mm......
Mike Andruch did a trigger job on his and it is sweet, there are a few of us on here that own them and most seem to like them.... You can find them on sale these days for around 350.00

epe

Lancaster
Ruger lc9 striker. The striker trigger is great. Fits in my pocket. I put a green laser on it that comes on out of the holster. Shoots accurate for its size.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Moved this over to the Gun Questions forum for you buddy. Keeps it stored in a logical place to find it again.

I carry a Taurus PT709 Slim. It is very concealable, which is my main reason for carrying it. I will upgrade to something better suited for my XXL monkey paws as some point, but I'm happy with it. I also put Pierce grip extensions and a Hogue grip sleeve on it.

rsmith

Moved this over to the Gun Questions forum for you buddy. Keeps it stored in a logical place to find it again.

I carry a Taurus PT709 Slim. It is very concealable, which is my main reason for carrying it. I will upgrade to something better suited for my XXL monkey paws as some point, but I'm happy with it. I also put Pierce grip extensions and a Hogue grip sleeve on it.

Thank you, didn't know where to post this.

M&P Shield in 9mm......
Mike Andruch did a trigger job on his and it is sweet, there are a few of us on here that own them and most seem to like them.... You can find them on sale these days for around 350.00

Thanks for the tip on the trigger job. I read about people doing that on them. Great lakes outdoor supply has them on sale for 330 right now. Was thinking about putting it on layways for 90 days at that price. But my other friend is a police officer and can get me a discount on a glock 43 for 345. I was going to go to a local range and try out the shield and then shoot my buddies 43 and compair them. My neighbor has a 9mm Sig, I believe it is single stack or has a slim grip on it?? But he let me shoot that a couple days ago and I was pulling left on it about 4-6 inches?? Is this common with a slimer gripped handgun. I know my form is far from perfect but I can shoot my 1911 pretty well and I was very suprised to be shooting that far off with his 9mm.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have had them all. The one I carry most now is the Ruger LCP II. They have updated it and it is great. Pocket carry.

I also recommend the Kahr CM/PM 9. Also for pocket carry. This was my go to until I purchased the new Ruger. BTW the old LCP is not in the same league as the new.

For IWB I use a Glock 27. Hard to beat if you are IWB.

I use Desantis pocket holsters and Crossbreed IWB.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I carry a Shield 9mm IWB and really like it (stock trigger). But 350 bucks for a G43 is a great price. Better shoot them both and see which one you like best.

I also carry a Kahr CW380 both pocket carry and IWB. I really really like this little pistol. Fits me much better than the Ruger LCP's or LC9's and has a great trigger. During the warmer months, this is what I carry (in a Sticky holster) 90% of the time.

As far as pulling left or right on your shots, that's likely just a shooting form issue. When I first got my Shield I had the same problem. Can't remember if I shot left or right but it was consistent. All it took was some experimenting with trigger pull. I now shoot with the trigger more in the first crease of my finger than the meat on my finger tip. This brings my POI right back to the center.

Glock 19(iwb owb and sometimes shoulder carry), s&w shield 9(iwb), and colt detectives special(owb). In the woods as carry either a s&w model 13 357 mag or a s&w 69 44 mag (shoulder carry).

Guns I used or carry or no longer own.
Walther pps (replaced by the shield)
Sig p229 (carried daily for 4 years now is my home defense pistol. It is just too heavy compared to the others)
Sig p245 SAS (sold when I consolidated calibers to 9mm and .357)
S&w 66-8( traded for the 69.)

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
S&W 642
Glock 26
Springfield XDS 45 (but I would certainly entertain the 9mm in this gun if I didn't have the Glock)

Those are my main carry guns. I like the Galco Jakslide holster but also use Crossbreed IWB holsters.

I hear great things about the Glock 43 and Shield. Never fired them.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Try to shoot a few and try a few holsters. Everybody has different body types, different size hands, handles recoil different etc.

Something reliable that you shoot well and isn't too uncomfortable to carry is what you need. No idea what that would be buddy.

I usually carry a SW 637 with a leather OWB holster.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
IMG_20160804_192236.jpgGlock 42. Even with the colder weather clothing where I would start carrying a .45 glock or 1911 it's just so easy just to put this in my pocket and go.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
S&W J frame model 36, Have two of them. with hollow base wad cutters loaded upside down. produce half dollar size holes.. you need to reload them yourself.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I had the S&W M&P 9C, little to big.

Got the Springfield XDS 9MM. Liked it.

Bought the Glock 43. Havent shot it yet, but the feel in my hands is GREAT.