PDA

View Full Version : Decoys

Untitled

Mike
11-02-2016, 07:02 PM
What if a buck comes into your decoy and it's one you'd like to pass on? Do you just let him loose interest? Throw a tennis ball at him?

"J"
11-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Good question, I've never used a decoy so I'd like to see what folks would do as well....

Full bore
11-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Watch him destroy your decoy then cuss him! Lol

"J"
11-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Watch him destroy your decoy then cuss him! Lol

That'd be his last brave act lol

mitch_foster15
11-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Ive wondered the same thing, id love to hear others experiences

Mao
11-03-2016, 06:22 AM
I have had this happen a lot. Most of the time they will investigate the decoy then booger out. Not super alarmed, but walk away stiff legged and head bobbing. This has happend to me on neumerous occasions. I have had does snort and blow a time or two at a buck decoy, but most of the time they do the same thing as other bucks. I may bust my decoy out tonight. Seems about the time.

Mike
11-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I knew you'd chime in. Thanks!

Boarhead
11-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Use to use one,worked ok a few times but the does seem to get real nervous around them.

Isaacorps
11-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Piss on his head from the stand 😂

djohn9713
11-03-2017, 09:24 PM
I just ordered a young buck one from Montana decoys. I figured I would throw it up in the backyard to see if anything comes near it. What's the verdict on using them in the woods? Worth it or waste of money?

Bigslam51
11-03-2017, 09:40 PM
I just ordered a young buck one from Montana decoys. I figured I would throw it up in the backyard to see if anything comes near it. What's the verdict on using them in the woods? Worth it or waste of money?
I've heard that they tend to spook deer if they are in the woods since they are a lot less visible. I don't use them at all just because imo it's a 50/50 chance that the deer will either spook or commit to it.

xbowguy
11-03-2017, 09:55 PM
If you put it in the backyard, don't leave it out overnight. My 3D target got it's ass handed to him several times about this time of year. His eyes were all gouged out, ear broken off and found him in pieces a lot.

hickslawns
11-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow. Put mine together tonight. My Cabelas bucks are now depleted. Glad I had the points/bucks saved up on my card. Those Boss Buck decoys aren't cheap.

Since the decoy thread is opened, may as well ask some more questions.

Do you guys smoke up your decoy? Do you spray them down with scent elimination spray? Or do you just carry it in and set it up?

Isaacorps
11-03-2017, 10:16 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow. Put mine together tonight. My Cabelas bucks are now depleted. Glad I had the points/bucks saved up on my card. Those Boss Buck decoys aren't cheap.

Since the decoy thread is opened, may as well ask some more questions.

Do you guys smoke up your decoy? Do you spray them down with scent elimination spray? Or do you just carry it in and set it up?

Good questions, Iím curious TOO...

hickslawns
11-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Brock helped square me away on how to set it. I always figured face it towards me as I would expect a buck to square up head to head with the decoy. What surprised me was Brock telling me most of the bucks went around the rear to sniff the decoy butt first, then walked around face to face with the decoy. I intend on mostly broadside set up with the decoy 20-25yds away from my blind. I have an open area between two thickets with standing corn to the east. My area is maybe the size of a couple football fields. Plenty open for the bucks to see the decoy. Good location for cruising bucks who may see it. Good area to try some blind rattling. I'm excited to use it. Not so excited to carry it 1/4-1/2 mile in along with a chair, my bow, and gear for an all day sit. I'm going to be a pack mule in the morning.

Clay Showalter
11-04-2017, 12:18 AM
I used mine yesterday and today both times had a small buck come check it out then walk off. Some larger bucks saw it but did investigate. I have it set up behind a doe.

I spray it down with scent elimination spray

Maxxis31
11-04-2017, 05:24 AM
57885 I used my decoy on Wednesday evening had this spike investigate, i sprayed it down with dead down wind scent killer, a six point was coming into the decoy also but spotted a live doe at the other end of the field and took off chasing her, but the spike walked around the decoy for probably 3 to 4 minutes before wondering off.

brock ratcliff
11-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Brock helped square me away on how to set it. I always figured face it towards me as I would expect a buck to square up head to head with the decoy. What surprised me was Brock telling me most of the bucks went around the rear to sniff the decoy butt first, then walked around face to face with the decoy. I intend on mostly broadside set up with the decoy 20-25yds away from my blind. I have an open area between two thickets with standing corn to the east. My area is maybe the size of a couple football fields. Plenty open for the bucks to see the decoy. Good location for cruising bucks who may see it. Good area to try some blind rattling. I'm excited to use it. Not so excited to carry it 1/4-1/2 mile in along with a chair, my bow, and gear for an all day sit. I'm going to be a pack mule in the morning.

???? I always have the decoy facing the stand or blind. Lol. I don't know how much difference it makes. They walk around the thing usually, sizing up the situation.

hickslawns
11-04-2017, 08:36 AM
???? I always have the decoy facing the stand or blind. Lol. I don't know how much difference it makes. They walk around the thing usually, sizing up the situation.Yeah. I heard you say that. I figured broadside at 20yds and I'll have a shot whether a buck investigates the back or the front. Never said I was a quick learner Brock. Lol

Big_Holla
11-04-2017, 08:37 AM
???? I always have the decoy facing the stand or blind. Lol. I don't know how much difference it makes. They walk around the thing usually, sizing up the situation.

Like you Brock, seems all I have read is buck decoy facing you, doe decoy face it away from you. They'll skirt a buck decoy to face off from the sides or head-on and a doe decoy they'll sneak up and do the sniff test from the rear. Of course nothing is an exact science.

CritterGitterToo
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Another trick you can do with a buck decoy is to leave 1 antler off. The buck will approach head on at the angle of the missing antler figuring to have a distinct advantage. It's one more way to get that buck positioned where you want him. Also, I usually have the decoy more like 40 yards out. You don't want the approaching buck to come in behind you. So, I don't like to be to close to the decoy. If the decoy is out 40 yards then when the buck comes around front of him to approach, you should have a nice 15-20 yard chip shot.

I absolutely love decoying bucks. It pulls 100% of their attention to them. Movement to position of shot and draw is so easy.

Also, we're getting into the breeding phase of the rut. Now would be a good time to have a standing buck decoy over a laying down doe decoy. That, or if I only had 1 decoy then I'd probably do a laying down doe decoy. Bucks are looking for love now, not to fight.

hickslawns
11-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I've had plenty of time to think. So I went out and changed his position to face the blind. What I'm thinking is it won't matter either way. I haven't seen a freaking deer. I could have him laying on his back with feet in the air. Lol. Yes. It's been a slow morning.

brock ratcliff
11-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Ha! When a buck sees it, he will come.

brock ratcliff
11-04-2017, 10:20 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUy8SAQ6vmA

brock ratcliff
11-04-2017, 10:24 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMrFEX0JqN4

I do not know how to edit vids for YouTube so I just vid short clips. By watching these vids you will think the deer spooked off. What you don't see is that both of them come back. Each of these deer were killable for at least ten minutes. Decoys are amazing.

Mike
11-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Here's a clean miss with my longbow two years ago after a doe circled my Montana buck decoy.
https://youtu.be/93Q9lHE48jA

brock ratcliff
11-04-2017, 02:58 PM
That was cool, Mike!

billyjackbackstrap
11-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Try to utilize a buck decoy with larger antlers than the scrub bucks on your property. Another useful tip is to pin the ears back on the decoy if possible to make he decoy appear aggressive which can keep docile younger bucks at bay. Adding dominant buck urine to the back side of the deer will also make the younger buck think twice about going into a battle with your decoy. Good luck.

brock ratcliff
11-08-2017, 09:59 PM
I forgot about this or I'd have mentioned it sooner; pin a real tail on the decoy. I believe it has helped or I would not have mentioned it. I think I used a wood screw but can't remember and my decoy is out on loan.

MK111
11-08-2017, 10:33 PM
If not mentioned before on decoy use. Place the doe decoy rear end facing you so the buck will come around to the rear to smell and won't see you drawing your bow.
Place the buck decoy facing you as the buck will want to look the decoy buck in the face and that way the live buck won't see you drawing your bow.

My experience has not been good using a decoy. Does wanted to stare and bark at the decoy doe. Small bucks walked around the doe decoy rather scared.
Had a doe decoy laying down and a buck decoy standing beside it and nice bucks at 50-75 yds paid no attention to it even after I got their attention by grunting.
It sure isn't like on TV. My decoy is best left at home.

A funny decoy story. many years ago we had a army veteran working for us and on the last day of gun season the neighbor is picking corn beside my woods. I took him up into the woods thinking the corn picker may drive some deer to him. Nothing showed.
Walking out of the woods at last light there's a doe standing at 40-50 yds. I told him to take it. He shoots 4 times and the damn thing never moved. He said here you try. I reloaded and shot 3 times and it still doesn't move.
I said the hell with it as the scope must of got knocked off. We walk out and the damn doe still doesn't run off. We walk up to it and unknown to us my son snuck in and put my doe decoy out in the hay field and there was 7 shots in the kill zone. My son is setting on top of the hill laughing his ass off. Still use the decoy with 7 kill zone holes. It's still a good story around here.

Clay Showalter
11-12-2017, 01:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171112/37989b95688cd1ad2b1397a8e43c93b0.jpg

Brought him, he walked around pawed the ground then walked off. Did itís job, just want a bigger boy to come check it out

Thunderflight
11-13-2017, 01:35 PM
I have only used my decoy a handful of times, but this is what I once did. It was time to leave and a small in love buck would not leave my decoy. I did one of those snort wheezes and then growled on my grunt call. The result was him literally turning inside as he high tailed outta there.

Buckmaster
11-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Last time I carried my decoy into the woods a hunter walking by took a shot at it with his xbow. He missed.

From high in my perch I yelled, "You better reload and try again!" Embarassing moment for him.

That was the last time I used my decoy. It scared more deer then it attracted. It found its way to my garage sale.

Jackalope
11-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Last time I carried my decoy into the woods a hunter walking by took a shot at it with his xbow. He missed.

From high in my perch I yelled, "You better reload and try again!" Embarassing moment for him.

That was the last time I used my decoy. It scared more deer then it attracted. It found its way to my garage sale.Years ago i was coyote hunting at Deer creek wildlife area with a flambeau decoy. Someone drive down the lane and shown a spotlight on me and the deek a few hundred yards across the field. I thought it was the GW and started packing up to go meet him, the crack of a rifle told me that was wrong. Never hunted with a decoy since outside of turkey season.