Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Placed hands on a yearling

scottofalltrades

So Sunday I went to the farm for a morning hunt. It was a terrible idea . Bugs were bad and I sweated my ass off.

I ended my hunt early because of an encounter with a yearling. It was pretty cool.

I was walking a treeline with the climber on my back being extremely noisy. I was pouring sweat, but enjoying being outside for the most part. I turned around to check out a noise and when I turned back around there was yearling right in front of me, about 15 yards. It was just sitting there nibbling in the hay field. I slowly nocked an arrow, hoping that mama would come out.

I thought the movement might spook the deer, but it didn't. It raised its head and looked at me while chewing. I decided to blow on my doe call and see what happened. The deer actually came a few steps closer. I was absolutely amazed. This continued for about 10 minutes until I had the deer close enough to touch.
I actually petted the deer down the muzzle before it took off back into the woods.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Sure did make me feel good about my scent control.

Bigcountry40

Was building a tree fort when I was like 10 years old and 3 deer came right up to us and we also petted them. I'm 32 so this would have been 22 years ago.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I used to practice using the grunt calls to see which sounds work for doe and buck. I got em close enough 15 yards but not close enough to touch em. Theres deers walking by my moms house just about everyday. I see all kinds of monster buck, young buck,nice looking matured doe, and fawn.

Blan37

SW Ohio
So Sunday I went to the farm for a morning hunt. It was a terrible idea . Bugs were bad and I sweated my ass off.

I ended my hunt early because of an encounter with a yearling. It was pretty cool.

I was walking a treeline with the climber on my back being extremely noisy. I was pouring sweat, but enjoying being outside for the most part. I turned around to check out a noise and when I turned back around there was yearling right in front of me, about 15 yards. It was just sitting there nibbling in the hay field. I slowly nocked an arrow, hoping that mama would come out.

I thought the movement might spook the deer, but it didn't. It raised its head and looked at me while chewing. I decided to blow on my doe call and see what happened. The deer actually came a few steps closer. I was absolutely amazed. This continued for about 10 minutes until I had the deer close enough to touch.
I actually petted the deer down the muzzle before it took off back into the woods.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Sure did make me feel good about my scent control.

That's a pretty cool encounter. There are a couple of stories on here about similar things happening. This thread has a couple: http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?20122-Hate-watching-em

Never had anything like that happen to me. I had a nice buck get within 10 yards of me while I was on the ground a few years ago but as soon as he saw me move he bolted.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I e had several real close encounters with young deer. My fave is when I was squirrel hunting by myself at around the age of 15 with my new Glenfield .22 with a 2X scope my dad bought me for the previous Xmas. I was on a point looking down into the creek bottom and I saw a big doe and little spotted fawn that was prolly just a few month old. It's was early October and I watched the doe till she finally browsed out of sight way down the creek but I lost sight of the fawn. After watching a few grays work over a Beech way across the holler I started devising a plan of attack as to how I could slip up on them without getting busted. Before I started my stalk I looked over to my right and that little fugger was standing 15 yards away head bobbing me. I stood perfectly still and a couple minutes later the bugger was smelling my boots! I could feel his nose tapping my right foot and hear his breathe puffs. I wiggled my toe and he came unglued like a busted garage door spring! Lol

Cool as heck encounter for a young hunter!

scottofalltrades

I was out yesterday and was talking to one of the owner's teenage sons. He was telling me that there are two young deer that he gets within 5 feet of every morning when he goes out to do his chores. Same spot/gate every morning.

I'm curious to know when they are going to learn fear. I'm willing to teach them.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I have 4 or 5 does that come to my feeder out front every morning. Closest I've gotten to them is about 4 feet, but I can get within 10 ft of them every time they come to eat.

They don't mind the Shephard taking a shit either lol