Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fuggin chipmunks!!!!!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Has anybody here ever had to deal with chipmunks around their house? I've got a hole clan of them and I'm ready to do something about it! Was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yep, we have a shit ton of them. Don't know much about trapping them though. I suppose just get a really small live trap and bait it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I killed 23 over the summer...
If they came from across the yard from the woods, I let em be. If they came out from the house foundation, I shot em with 22 bird shot.
They were in the walls of this old house.

If the 22 is not an option, peanut butter and rat traps.

I also discovered a board had dropped down at the top of the first floor where the overhang ends. I took 2 rat traps and used dry wall screws to mount them to the wall vertically right below the opening and baited em w/ peanut butter. Aside from a couple of mice, I took 6 flying squirrels this summer. They make a LOT of racket in the walls at night and live in colonies of 6-10 each. Once I stopped getting them, I re-secured the board.

Lastly, you may try the "Log roll of death"
You will need:
A 5 gallon type bucket
A empty water bottle
A old arrow
and peanut butter.

Drill a hole in the water bottle and bucket large enough for the arrow to fit through and easly spin.
Evenly smear some peanut butter all around the water bottle in the middle.
Place a board leading up to the arrow so they can climb up, walk out on the arrow and get to the bait.
Most will cause the water bottle to spin and drop into the water. (some folks use antifreeze instead of water as a deodorizer.)
This works great in a basement, garage or out building. Re-baiting the water bottle only needs to be done 1 or 2 times a week. I can catch 5-10 at a pop as opposed to 1 mouse then re-set the trap...

P1040769.jpg

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
I've depleted my population....two rat traps...one with a peanut tied down with 50# test mono, the other with a prune tied down the same. Prunes work a little better but the raccoons like them too meanwhile dragging them halfway across the yard.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've depleted my population....two rat traps...one with a peanut tied down with 50# test mono, the other with a prune tied down the same. Prunes work a little better but the raccoons like them too meanwhile dragging them halfway across the yard.

Rat trap and peanut butter as well and have taken a half dozen.... Have one more to take out...

reo

N.E. Ohio
In addition to above or case guns or traps are not an option: pellet type rat poison rolled with peanut butter to make a ball sized between a ping pong ball and a marble and roll it down their hole. Repeat as needed.