Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips on public hunting land/ would love to trade out hunts for Mississippi for Ohio

Wes brewer

Ok guys I'm not new to bow hunting been bow hunting ruffly 15 yrs but I've never hunted in Ohio I live in Mississippi have family that lives around Dayton every time I come up I seem to see monster bucks or at least bucks over "140 inches and some well beyond that I've killed some good ones here in Mississippi biggest scoring 158 2 years ago private land but family members there are non hunters so they are no help in this area I'm going to hunt Ceasar creek maybe crown city wildlife maybe even Wayne county wildlife I'm coming up the 17th of November bucks should be chasing I think but I am willing to take any advice I can get at this point on where and when to hunt and if anybody wants to come
hunt in Mississippi and trade out a hunt in Ohio I'm game because the rut here is longer and later thanks Ohio I do believe ors starts around December the 1st through Christmas I own land and have lease land here about 3,500 acres total I also have trail cam pics and topo maps of the land I hunt here but like I said any info on public land is appreciated!!!
🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
It has been several years ago that I hunted Caesars Creek. When I did it was packed. It was a regular occurrence for me to be in the stand and get walked up on by multiple hunters. I tried several different areas and had similar results. That was probably 12-14 years ago. Welcome!

Bigcountry40

Welcome, the time your talking about hunting is youth gun season, so you'll have to wear orange on the 19th and 20th, hunting state land during the rut and gun season is a crap shoot, you may scout some great place out and never see a vehicle there and the day you go there to hunt 3 vehicles (typically all out of state) will be with 400 yards of your spot. I would take 1 day drive around to see where the vehicles are and aren't and try to do scout n hunt.

nis1

I would get here a little earlier if possible. Hitting it perfect is a crap shoot but any time between the 5th and the 15th are the best in my opinion. Like said above, you are also gonna hit youth season if you come that late which often puts a lot of people on public land...including people toting guns that look well over 17. I'm in NE Ohio so I'm afraid don't really have any input on that area as far as hunting goes.

nis1

Thanks for the info goin to try and come up on the 4th through the 8th

That should be perfect, I know many people that swear by the 6th-9th and do all day sits. I was planning on trying some all dayers last year but ended up killing my buck super early so I ended up not hunting as hard during rut. This year, it's game on from the 3rd-15th

joejoe8

I've never scouted or hunted that part of the state. So not much help, but if you find the area's 90% of the other hunters want go. You'll find deer!! welcome an good luck