Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

baitcasting reel maintenance

every year roundthis time i start itching for open water , and big live shad flying through the air attached to my line .Well i cant get the bait outthere to far if i dont do yearly maintenance on my reels, so here is some pics to show ya how i do it and why i do it

i use the shakespear tidewater tw30 reels spooled with 30 pound berkley big game mono line , i need the bigger line cause of the size of bait and floats i am throwing and the energy it takes to get em out to 100 yards or farther

strip the line from the reel , i can usually fit 230 yards of 30 pound line on these reels which is alot of pulling with your hands , so i like to use a drill with a old gun cleaning rod attached and tape the line to the rod pull the trigger and giggle mysteriously , usually with in a minute the line is off the reel

detach side casing , another reason i like this reel is cause it all comes off together so less parts to loose

detach opposite side casing

pull spull out and set aside

clean out any dust or sand or anything in there thats not supposed to be in there and grease up every bearing , wheels , springs basicly anything that moves , then put it back together , by greasin my internal reel parts i add 30 to 40 yards of casting distance compared to when i didnt grease them , i use the normal berkely reel grease

next weeks episode , how to grease a spinning reel

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good post, UK... definitely some useful tips here. Using a drill to strip the line is a great idea, too... one of those that makes me say to myself, "Hey why didn't I think of that?"

Question... have you used the PowerPro line yet for catfishing? I use it alot for bass fishing in the thick shit. I tell you what, it's a bit expensive but you can't break that line if you try and I honestly believe it casts smoother and farther than mono. I'm sure you've probably already used it but if not, I'd recommend picking up a spool. On those big baitcasters, just crank on half a spool or so of mono for backing, that way you don't have to use so much PowerPro.

Good post, UK... definitely some useful tips here. Using a drill to strip the line is a great idea, too... one of those that makes me say to myself, "Hey why didn't I think of that?"

Question... have you used the PowerPro line yet for catfishing? I use it alot for bass fishing in the thick shit. I tell you what, it's a bit expensive but you can't break that line if you try and I honestly believe it casts smoother and farther than mono. I'm sure you've probably already used it but if not, I'd recommend picking up a spool. On those big baitcasters, just crank on half a spool or so of mono for backing, that way you don't have to use so much PowerPro.

ive used it on some of my bait casters , but my pay lake poles only get mono cause the braid tends to float , and when you only got 10 feet from side to side to fish i need that line to sink as quick as possible so i use mono , now my river poles will be getting power pro , if i can find big enough spools of it , i dont like using the mono backing though to much of a chance of the braid slipping down into it when i make the long bomb casts,had it happen few times so i dont use backing any more , my boat rods it would work really well on cause i dont have to cast that far to get the bait where i need it , but if im going for distance like at dams i use all mono , now on my slip float poles i cant use braid cause my bobber stop wears out the braid to quick and im always tightening the bobber stop knot

Last edited: