Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beaver Creek WMA Fairborn, Ohio

kentuckyoutdoorsman

Anybody in the area ever hunt this? Its handy for me because its 5 minutes from the office. I've done a little scouting but you really need a pair of chest waders, or at least hip boots to get everywhere. I called DNR and confirmed the boundaries as it is also a protected wetland for birds. Apparently, the wetlands area is fair game if you can find a spot to deer hunt. (Think boardwalk with water on both sides and viewing towers...definitely need waders to get off beaten path away from school kids on a field trip.) I'm all for a mile long walk through chest high grass/water if it means getting on the deer but wasn't sure how much pressure the area gets? Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

BCamp

Dayton
I checked it out briefly last year after a snow, didn't see many deer tracks but looked like a lot of people walking their dogs. I went in from North side, not the side with boardwalk. Not much help unfortunately.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've seen some deer tracks and game trails on the North side when doing some scouting, but no deer.
Every spot that I thought "That looks like a good place to sit" had empty shotgun shells, no lie.
Which, if you think about it, is not really a bad thing.
I've never hunted it, but intend to someday. I say go for it. It's better than sitting on the couch.

kentuckyoutdoorsman

I'm going to hit it hard tomorrow and see if I have any luck. I don't know what's considered "going in deep" for most folks but its about 1.5 mile to the creek from the parking lot on the north side. If you get off the main trail you better have a good set of rubber boots that don't leak and be cool with stepping without being able to see your feet for the height of the grass(in the area I scouted). The great thing about it though is you can tell where things are walking through/made trails. In my experience deer are lazy and take the path of least resistance. Perhaps this can be used as a funnel. I ought to know more tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted...it should be a good morning for some stand sitting.

Cmlynch19

I'm going to hit it hard tomorrow and see if I have any luck. I don't know what's considered "going in deep" for most folks but its about 1.5 mile to the creek from the parking lot on the north side. If you get off the main trail you better have a good set of rubber boots that don't leak and be cool with stepping without being able to see your feet for the height of the grass(in the area I scouted). The great thing about it though is you can tell where things are walking through/made trails. In my experience deer are lazy and take the path of least resistance. Perhaps this can be used as a funnel. I ought to know more tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted...it should be a good morning for some stand sitting.

So how did you end up doing? I think I might have talked with you in the morning prior to walking back.

kentuckyoutdoorsman

So how did you end up doing? I think I might have talked with you in the morning prior to walking back.

Yes sir I believe you did. Still pretty thick with plenty of leaves still on the trees. I was back by the creek and with the rain we had last week the water was up. I saw a small deer, through some thick stuff, and out of bow range but made it worth the trip. I did a little more scouting and found a few deer tracks here and there but they weren't wearing it out anywhere that I saw. I was going to try crossing the creek but water was too high and I wasn't sure how far south I could go past that and still be on public land as it was posted private property on the east side of the pipeline south of the creek. I talked to my dad in Kentucky and he said things are starting to move pretty good down there. I plan on taking a couple days and heading to the family farm, just looking for the chasing to start.( Don't want to burn vacation on the wrong days). Did you have any luck Saturday morning?

Cmlynch19

Yes sir I believe you did. Still pretty thick with plenty of leaves still on the trees. I was back by the creek and with the rain we had last week the water was up. I saw a small deer, through some thick stuff, and out of bow range but made it worth the trip. I did a little more scouting and found a few deer tracks here and there but they weren't wearing it out anywhere that I saw. I was going to try crossing the creek but water was too high and I wasn't sure how far south I could go past that and still be on public land as it was posted private property on the east side of the pipeline south of the creek. I talked to my dad in Kentucky and he said things are starting to move pretty good down there. I plan on taking a couple days and heading to the family farm, just looking for the chasing to start.( Don't want to burn vacation on the wrong days). Did you have any luck Saturday morning?

I got blanked again. Every time I go back there I see a new stand someone put up. Pretty high pressure area.

kentuckyoutdoorsman

Is there any public land around that doesn't get so much pressure? I'm not asking for the lat/long of your honey hole but in walking around I echo your sentiment. I found a trail camera and two stands that aren't "easy" to get to. I don't mind working for it but it looks like there are quite a few around here with the same idea on that piece of land. I've heard Fallsville wma is pretty good but haven't made the trip yet. I work here local in Dayton but live on the west side of Columbus. I've scouted several of the areas in Coshocton but have yet to hunt them.