Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 First This Weekend W/ My Step Daughter

So my step daughter got drawn for opening day Ottawa hunt this year(and I was allowed to hunt too), and it was to be her first ever duck hunt at the ripe age of 12.

She wasn't all that excited since we had to get up at 2:45 to make the 2 hr. drive from Geauga county, but I figured the tiredness would wear off once we got a field.

She drew blind 10, which is the same spot I had hunted at Ottawa before..quite successfully. So I was pretty sure we were gonna have a hell of a day. And I could not have been any more right...

As soon as shooting time came, the action was literally non-stop. Like, to the point where I could barely look down to grab shells before more birds were working our spread. It was crazy!

And since it was her first, and she wasn't 100% confident in her shooting ability, I figured I would let her pull the trigger on any that landed in the spread or came over slow. So I downed a couple teal that came in and out of the spread like fighter jets. Then it happened.....

3 un-assuming little green wings came right in and landed next to my jerk rig, which I was very successfully jerking, cause I'm kind of a pro at that sort of thing. And she got up and took the shot...and missed! But the little greenie didn't make haste when getting out of there, so she managed to put it down on shot #2!

Her first duck ever! Pretty cool to be a part of. THEN, as we are having just an unreal hunt, 5 birds come in and land about 40 yards out and she's like, "can I shoot those ones?". And I said no, only because her 20 gauge probably wouldn't make the poke, but my 12 sure did. I dropped one and lo and behold, it's a fuggin pintail! First one ever! Not nice and plumed, but still a pinny none the less. And then ANOTHER one later in the morning.

We ended the day with 10 ducks, 2 pinnys and 8 teal, and 3 geese before running out of shells. She only got the one, but she must have said, "this is awesome" like 20 times. I said that it sure as hell doesn't happen like this every time, lol. That kid has luck running out of her ass! Last year she went on her first turkey hunt and shot a monster gobbler in like 2 hours!