Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Classic video

Blan37

SW Ohio
I like watching those kinds of vids too. Makes me wish I lived in simpler times.

Any idea why they hang them like this? Never seen it before.

Michigan_Deer_Country_Rocking_Chair_Camp_-_YouTube.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
First off, thanks so much for posting that video Brock. Watched the whole 47 minutes.
Absolutely heartwarming, and nice to slow down and have time to think while watching it, thinking about my memories at the same time.

I'd never seen this before and thought it was pretty cool - has anyone ever cut steaks like this? :

IMG_20161017_224913850_HDR.jpg

(I don't know how to capture a screenshot while watching the video, so I took a pic of it with my cellphone, that's why it looks less clear)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, and running a saw through venison bone is a sin. Spreading the marrow through the meat greatly adds to the "gamely" flavor. You may like it. I cannot eat it. To me it is far too much of a good thing.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That made my morning.
Thank you for the post. I thought of my grandfather the whole time. Those red/black wool coats and pants..
As the ending credits started I realized my face hurt... I had a big smile the whole time.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan, good question. I know a few folks that still do it. Many high volume processors do it, and I will never pay for their services.

Jim- glad you enjoyed it. Dad had that kind of gear when I was a kid. His coat always had hand warmers in the pockets. They were even in little red pouches.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I watched the rest of the video this morning. I would love to be a part of a deer camp like that. All the stories those walls could tell. Something very special.

Buckmaster

Portage
There's no better thing than Deer Camp.

That video gives me chills.

I remember almost every moment of my youth in various PA Deer Camps, all the folk, and the stories.

The folks are long gone but the memories are within me forever.

Long Live Deer Camp.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There's no better thing than Deer Camp.

That video gives me chills.

I remember almost every moment of my youth in various PA Deer Camps, all the folk, and the stories.

The folks are long gone but the memories are within me forever.

Long Live Deer Camp.

DITTO!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole video! Sure brought back some of my memories. Ron and I are blessed and we're blessed to be a part of several deer camps over the years! Almost every group of hunters scattered about in our area in the SE still have them! It's hard to top spending a week at deer camp with your buddies chasing deer,catching up,eating like kings and making more memories!

Can't wait to spend another week at the chicken house during the upcoming shotgun season!:pickle:

Thanks for sharing that Brock! GREAT STUFF!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, I liked how he cronicled it by each decade and enjoyed hearing the info in the building of the Mackinaw Bridge! Pretty cool!