Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moon Phase

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think it depends on the area. Heavily pressured areas will always curb movement compared to non pressured areas. Cold fronts have a big impact on movement. Again, my opinion. I don't see a 2-4-6-10 day window of prime rutting activity. Maybe it happens this way in certain years. For the most part, it seems activity slowly increases, peaks, and then tapers off. 30 days later it repeats but a little less intense. Do all kids hit puberty at the same time? Does every female ovulate the same day? I believe deer are no different. Not EVERY single doe will be hot at the same moment. I'm not sure I believe the moon phase has a ton to do with the rut. I think it plays a part, but I don't think it dictates everything. Just my thoughts.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As for activity I believe the moon does play a role. I see more movement in my areas when the moon is under foot or overhead close to sunrise and sunset. I have not seen the same as far as moon phase though. Moon position seems to have more influence. Of course this could all be my imagination as I am far from any type of expert.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As for activity I believe the moon does play a role. I see more movement in my areas when the moon is under foot or overhead close to sunrise and sunset. I have not seen the same as far as moon phase though. Moon position seems to have more influence. Of course this could all be my imagination as I am far from any type of expert.
I agree with this as well. Maybe a better question is "what has the most impact?" Moon phase is lower than human pressure, cold fronts, and over/under foot to me.