Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Changing Tactics

Jake_C

Do you change tactics leading up to and during the rut? If so, what changes and why?

I don't plan to change tactics, personally. I do have a few spots set aside for that time but that will be the only thing I change.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes. Last week in October I might be found sitting within shooting distance of known annual scrapes. I have been known to do some rattling during the prerut and rut as well. Hunt known doe travel corridors. Longer sits. Maybe some midday sits rather than morning or evening. Lots of tactics change. Other stuff stays the same but with a bit more confidence. Right now I may hunt the same area, but have less optimism about seeing a shooter in daylight.

Diablo54

Outside
Yes. You need to move closer to bedding areas and pinch points. Places you shouldn't be sitting now unless you are on a pattern of a deer your hunting

Jake_C

I have been known to do some rattling during the prerut and rut as well.

all good stuff and very good points. I decided to not bring my rattling horns or grunt tube into the woods this year (I may change my mind on the grunt tube eventually). I really feel like I have over used them in the past and hurt my chances more than helped them. I think this year I will try to observe the deer in their natural environment and see what they really sound and act like, and then try to imitate that in future seasons. I have never heard bucks fighting in the woods and before last year I don't think I ever heard a deer grunt so I based all of my calling off of youtube videos or tv shows. I probably scared half of the decent bucks out of Columbiana county with the buck roar lol

Jake_C

Yes. You need to move closer to bedding areas and pinch points. Places you shouldn't be sitting now unless you are on a pattern of a deer your hunting

I have done 2 sits within "binocular distance" of the beds of 2 good (IMO) bucks. Neither have gotten up before it was time for me to get out of the tree so far this season. closer to the rut I have a few trees picked out that are closer to the beds hoping to intercept them, and hoping that they put up with the closer intrusion due to the rut. if they start moving before dark at all I should, hopefully, be able to seal the deal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always have a grunt tube. Don't plan on using it. If a buck is too far out or appears to be leaving bedding opposite direction as you, then use it. Not like the TV guys blasting a bugle. Just a grunt. Soft. Short. If no response. Maybe a little louder but still keep it short. Doesn't always work. Sometimes it turns them on a dime. Other times they act like they don't want to come. Then curiosity gets the better of them and they come anyway.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yup, good advice here.

Early:Food
Rut:doe bedding and pinches in between and doe feeding areas too
Late:back to food sources and doe bedding for does still not bred yet.

Always have a grunt tube!

Jake_C

Always have a grunt tube. Don't plan on using it. If a buck is too far out or appears to be leaving bedding opposite direction as you, then use it. Not like the TV guys blasting a bugle. Just a grunt. Soft. Short. If no response. Maybe a little louder but still keep it short. Doesn't always work. Sometimes it turns them on a dime. Other times they act like they don't want to come. Then curiosity gets the better of them and they come anyway.

That's exactly why I'll probably change my mind on carrying the grunt. I'll just have to have a little discipline on those really slow days.

jlane

dunn nc
Calling works at the right time,Just keep in mind when you call or rattle you become the hunted.
I personally think a soft doe contact grunt works best, I use the can estrus call on a limited basis.
I;ve had bucks run right to the tree i;m sitting in after a call.
Also i;ve had and killed bucks by scraping the tree and shaking a limb imitating bucks rubbing a tree.

Jake_C

Calling works at the right time,Just keep in mind when you call or rattle you become the hunted.
I personally think a soft doe contact grunt works best, I use the can estrus call on a limited basis.
I;ve had bucks run right to the tree i;m sitting in after a call.
Also i;ve had and killed bucks by scraping the tree and shaking a limb imitating bucks rubbing a tree.

any recommendations for a decent call? I'm not even sure what I did with mine. I think it was just the cheapest one I could get my hands on at the time anyway.

jlane

dunn nc
primos can bleat, and a soft young buck grunt, don't be aggressive, with calling unless you see the buck at a distance.
I only call in a group of three bleats with three to five grunts, and then if it's during the chasing phase i'll do some rattleing, in about a 30/45 sec spar, then watch for atleast 30/45 min before doing it again.
I've had more success in the mornings up til 9.30 or so.
By the way if you have ever heard a buck or doe grunt it is very soft, sound carries a long ways in the quiet woods,
I don,t like to call in fields too much.
Good luck with your ventures, have fun with it, don't get caught up in calling, use it sparringly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second the "True Talker" grunt tube. It is my only grunt tube now. I have a new one in the package waiting for the old one to go bad.

Jake_C

Hunters Specialty True Talker is one of the finest grunt calls ever made IMO.

I actually just picked one up this morning.

Jake_C

primos can bleat, and a soft young buck grunt, don't be aggressive, with calling unless you see the buck at a distance.
I only call in a group of three bleats with three to five grunts, and then if it's during the chasing phase i'll do some rattleing, in about a 30/45 sec spar, then watch for atleast 30/45 min before doing it again.
I've had more success in the mornings up til 9.30 or so.
By the way if you have ever heard a buck or doe grunt it is very soft, sound carries a long ways in the quiet woods,
I don,t like to call in fields too much.
Good luck with your ventures, have fun with it, don't get caught up in calling, use it sparringly.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with only a few soft grunts if I have a deer in sight at a distance. Maybe next year I'll try to implement some calling sequences like you mentioned during the chasing phase.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Have any of y'all tried the extinguisher deer call? I see them advertised in tv all the time but am always a little leery of things that are pushed that hard and promise great things. Seems like a good product but who knows...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I second most of the advice here as far as not overdoing things with calls. But watch the deer in your area. If you notice lots of daytime movement and bucks running Does, try getting aggressive. Remember, they are full of testosterone and amped up as hell in mid rut. Dont be afraid to challenge an unseen deer. Just make sure you really scan and there isn't one close that will pick you apart in the tree