Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hurricane Matthew

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Not sure how many are paying attention to this storm. I gotta admit, normally I really dont pay too much attention to them. However, we are supposed to visit the Wife's Grandmother next Wednesday through the weekend. She lives in Port Orange, which currently is projected to get hammered. We are actually trying to convince her to fly up here and then ride back down with us next week. I doubt if she will even entertain that idea. She's a strong minded Old lady. She moved to the U.S. from England when she was 19 to be a nanny for the Kennedy's, so she really has seen it all, haha.

Anybody ever been through a Hurricane? Im actually curious to see if we'll even be able to head down there next week

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had buddies stationed on the coast that rode them out and one hid in a closet standing on his vacuuming cleaner as a foot of water raged thru his house.... He currently lives in Springfield and won't live by the coast anymore lol
Most just bored everything up buy plenty of rations and ride it out, they get a feel for what's coming and know when to stay vs flee....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't been thru a hurricane. I did marry a redhead though. Pretty sure it is similar.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Been through several hurricanes. Been evacuated from school for them and stayed at the beach through 2.

Definitely interesting experiences. Pray for everyone's safety.

jlane

dunn nc
Yep, endured fran back in 96,hell of a night.
The worst part is cleaning up afterwards, then no power for 10 days, with high 90's for temps and a pregnant wife!!!!!!!!!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
It's looking more and more likely Grandma's area takes a direct hit. Now it's back to a Cat 4. She did go inland to Central Florida to stay with some friends. This is my fault. Every time I have scheduled to go Deep Sea fishing, 4 times now, either a storm whips up and ruins it or I got too damn drunk to make it to the boat in the morning

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
My great-grandma was born in the 1880's on florida's gulf coast. She said when she was young they didn't have hurricanes, they just had storms, sometimes bad storms but not hurricanes :smiley_crazy:

But that was before a couple million people decided they wants to live on the coast in very expensive homes and when something happens they want someone else pay for it.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Grandma returned to her property yesterday. Just a small bit of siding damage for her. Lots of her neighbors sustained quite a bit of damage. She said its a mess down there. We decided against even trying it so we are taking a trip for a couple days to the Cincy area. Taking kids to the Zoo, newport aquarium, and some museums. And Jungle Jim's on the way home

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Grandma returned to her property yesterday. Just a small bit of siding damage for her. Lots of her neighbors sustained quite a bit of damage. She said its a mess down there. We decided against even trying it so we are taking a trip for a couple days to the Cincy area. Taking kids to the Zoo, newport aquarium, and some museums. And Jungle Jim's on the way home
Glad to hear her place received just a little damage!
You gotta use the portalet when you go to JJ! Enjoy your trip Ryan! Also checkout the hot sauce isle, you'll be AMAZED! Lol

This is the one in Fairfield but not sure if the other store has the same set up though!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-LdHjGksvs

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Glad to hear her place received just a little damage!
You gotta use the portalet when you go to JJ! Enjoy your trip Ryan! Also checkout the hot sauce isle, you'll be AMAZED! Lol

This is the one in Fairfield but not sure if the other store has the same set up though!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-LdHjGksvs
Thats the one we are going to. I went there about 8 years ago, but surely I would have remembered that restroom if I used it. I do remember the Olive Bar and the hot sauce row. I seen a special edition bottle of Blair's Caldera behind lock and key that had a price tag of about $2000.00 IIRC.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was listening to the Steve Summers Truckin radio show on my way home from work on nights about 5 years ago and he was talking about some hot sauce they had in a glass case under lock and key that was around 5K but he could have been exaggerating some too! Anywho, it was so hot and concentrated you only needed to add a drop or so to heat up like 5-10 gallons of chili! Lol

I get a kick at reading some of the bottle labels!