Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bass Pro Shops acquiring Cabela's for $5.5B

fishwendel2

Bass Pro Shops has reached a deal to acquire outdoors retail competitor Cabela's and take the company private in a deal valued at $5.5 billion, the companies said Monday.

It was not immediately clear whether the acquisition would result in any store closures, but the companies said in a statement that Springfield, Mo.-based Bass Pro Shops would "celebrate and grow" the Cabela's brand.

The deal comes about 10 months after Sidney, Neb.-based Cabela's effectively put itself up for sale at the urging of hedge fund Elliott Management, which had declared the hunting-and-fishing retailer undervalued and called for the company to consider a sale or reorganization.

Does this impact you or no? Having a Cabelas close by is nice but I have spent more of my $$ at Gander Mountain and Field and Stream

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
From a product quality standpoint I've always had better luck with Cabela's branded products vs. Bass Pro / Redhead branded products.

That being said, most of the shopping I do is done online. I find the product I want, research the most competitive price and then have it shipped to my house. That is more of the future of retail vs. having giant stores across the country.

Jake_C

From a product quality standpoint I've always had better luck with Cabela's branded products vs. Bass Pro / Redhead branded products.

This is the first thing I thought of. Cabela's branded stuff, mostly the clothing, is for the most part pretty high quality stuff. ALL of the bass pro stuff I purchased, with the exception of one pair of coveralls and some rebranded gold tip arrows, was garbage. I hope they don't try to cheapen the cabela's stuff up.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
My thoughts as well. I drive past ass pro shops every week on the way to the lake and have only stopped in there to look around 3x in 4 years. I have made the drive to cabelas in dundee way more than that. I hope the quality doesnt go down.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It will hurt consumers for sure. Prices will go up from manufacturers

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hopefully Johnny does fugg up cabelas like he did bass pro... They used to have some pretty good quality/prices but like Sean I do most of my purchases online to save money....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I buy mostly online as well except when I'm in a pinch. BassPro is right by my house.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I wonder how this will affect stores like gander mtn and fin fur and feather. I could see this transition driving people to stores such as those.