Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What are we waiting for?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
In years past, I found myself hitting the woods every chance I got as soon as season started. I would normally make it till mid November and then find myself loosing enthusiasm.

This year however, I find myself needing to hold off a bit. Having custody of our 4 year old granddaughter has, to some extent, limited the amount of time I have to do "my stuff". She is a treasure, but being as active as she is, she can be a handful. My wife appreciates all the help she can get and I have been sacrificing my hunting and fishing time to remain at the house and help her out. So in some way, I am "banking" my hunting time. Which I can also see having the added effect of keeping me enthused longer into the season.

I have also noticed there are several other guys who are not getting real serious about seat time yet and was just wondering, what conditions are we waiting for? The first frost? Leaves falling? Crops coming off?...

For the record, I'd rather be hunting right now.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm out right now because I had an encounter with a buck last evening that I'll shoot if I get a chance. I'm on a farm that I don't hunt much, saving the good farm for late October through the rest of the season. This cooler weather seems to have the deer moving, anytime you get a cold front during early season is good. Just can't over hunt spots too early and burn them out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Desire. Deer are WAY down my priority list right now. So much so, I spent a good part of my day considering taking all of next year off with the exception being a week of vacation out of state to hunt.

That said, I'm waiting until about the the 25-26th of a October when things are just started to crank up. I've spent a ton of hours in the woods during October and they've nearly all been fruitless. So unless I get a great weather front, I won't be out with any intent to kill for another 3 weeks.

I did ask my daughter if we should go on a squirrel hunt this week and she said no. She wants to hunt deer. So I'll probably go sit with her next weekend somewhere out of the way just to get her out.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Desire. Deer are WAY down my priority list right now

This where I'm at.

I'd be willing to take her with me, but she is EXTREMELY hyperactive, she wouldn't be able to sit still for longer than 10 minutes and being quiet is not in her bag of tricks, so deer hunting is out. I might be able to take her squack hunting in another year or two. Right now she is not real comfortable in the woods, she's afraid of pretty much everything.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I've just got other priorities and I really don't want a deer right now. Still practicing with my recurve and building my confidence. Once Halloween gets closer, my interest in buck hunting increases.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going out in the am for the first time, only because I want the experience & hopefully will video something. The bucks aren't doing anything & not until the very end of October will I be jacked up. I NEED to be in the woods in November, full of anticipation of nice bucks coming in searching for does. It doesn't mean I'll get a deer, but that's not the point for me. The sights, the smell of the woods .... the brisk morning air hitting my face.... the sound of a deer walking in the leaves. That's what I wait for.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
the brisk morning air hitting my face.... the sound of a deer walking in the leaves. That's what I wait for.

We'll said...
That's where I was at this morning. I got up, stepped outside, it was drizzling, 100% humidity, not quite cold, but not warm either... just kinda clammy. Said "yuk" doesn't feel like deer season. So I made some coffee and put in a video about making sausage.
I could have gone, I just wasn't feeling it.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ha, I was just talking to a buddy this weekend about the same thing. Work, camping and family time put hunting behind this year and I am perfectly fine with it although it feels strange. I got out tonight for the first time and it was fantastic. I am starting to get the itch now that things are going to be slowing down.

I try to get out a few times before halloween just to work out any kinks in the process to make sure its game on when the time counts or if i need meat. Starts with the walk in thru the walk out. I want no surprises when piling in the stand, me and equipment wise.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Work and family priorities have me buried. I went out a few times only because I was watching a couple big boys on a summer feeding pattern. Sadly, I cannot get to them without blowing them out of the area. I am limited to scouting them from a distance. This sucks but I will deal with it. I have entirely too much work to wrap up right now.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Waited too long to get things ready, still haven't checked sight on my bow. I'm just way behind right now. Hoping to get a sit in next Saturday.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Is it waterfowl season yet? Just kidding, but not really.

I bow hunted for the first time this morning and it was good to be back in the woods. There a good buck still hanging out and I'm going to hunt hard until I kill him or waterfowl season comes in. Seeing geese in the fields has me really excited already.

Gordo

Athens County
I'd rather be hunting right now TOO man. Time and resources haven't been there which has been a kick to the junk. That being said, when I do make it out this year, it's going to be glorious and very much appreciatted. Tis life

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Isn't it funny how life changes . Ya never get less busy . I'm still trying to get out when I can . But after yrs of no success on big deer till late Oct I don't force myself to hunt now like I do later . Another thing ive learned is I don't HAVE to kill a big deer . I'm fine not killing a buck . Obviously if I do great . But I've killed enough I feel fortunate already ...every one from now in is a bonus.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That being said, when I do make it out this year, it's going to be glorious and very much appreciatted. Tis life

Well said Gordo. Delayed gratification. I think an appreciation for that is something we all need to better develop.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I haven't had the best of luck hunting in October. Its still on the warm side. And we don't have any good pictures of daytime buck movement. Ill proly wait till November to hit the woods. And hit it hard then.

Jake_C

I'm waiting on nicer weather. I'm not going to lie and say that its not about getting a deer on the ground, because this year it kind of is. Mostly though I hunt because I love to be outdoors, same reason I fish, ice fish, camp, backpack, ride atv's. But I do not enjoy sweating and I don't enjoy misquitos at all when my goal is to be perfectly still and silent so i'm going to wait until at the very least the highs are in the lower 60's before I head out again. Until then I'll keep shooting my bow every day and spending more time with the family.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is it waterfowl season yet? Just kidding, but not really.

I bow hunted for the first time this morning and it was good to be back in the woods. There a good buck still hanging out and I'm going to hunt hard until I kill him or waterfowl season comes in. Seeing geese in the fields has me really excited already.
The thought of whistling wings is now WAY more appealing to me than a buck grunt...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
My camo is still in the closet for at least 2 more weeks. Right now ive been taking my daughter on a few evening hunts with little sightings. Been too warm and too many crops on in my area to get too excited yet, but did manage to see some fresh scrapes and rubs yesterday that began to fuel the fire.