Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Berlin Lake

scottofalltrades

So, for all you native guys, has anyone in the history of mankind and deer hunting ever killed a deer at Berlin?

I'm hunting near a cornfield that was planted on the WMA. I got apple trees and pear trees, oaks and hickory trees with great crops, some water, and a metric fugg ton of deer tracks.

Nothing.

I did spook a buck on my way in one morning because of my new loud stand.

It's no wonder I never see vehicles here.

I don't need to know where YOU kill deer, and I ain't trying to find the magic honey hole, but if anyone has a suggestion of some public land near Canton, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't have much experience with public land around here but I'd avoid morning hunts til the last week of October.

scottofalltrades

Are you hunting by 534 just what of the old railroad tracks thats been pulled out?

J, I'm actually parking where fewtown Rd dead ends by the archery range, then walking in.

Bigslam, is that just an observation of hunting up here, or is there another reason?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Experience shows until later in October morning hunts aren't as productive....
I know where you're at now, I thought you were over on leffingwell rd by your description...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Bucks are usually already in their beds before daylight this time of year. If your looking for a doe then I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

scottofalltrades

Bucks are usually already in their beds before daylight this time of year. If your looking for a doe then I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Never been one to exclusively hunt a buck, though to be honest this is the first season I've been out in years.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If the sign shows a lot of traffic just stick with it, hunt with the wind in your favor and enjoy the scenery....
Have you done any evening hunts?

scottofalltrades

If the sign shows a lot of traffic just stick with it, hunt with the wind in your favor and enjoy the scenery....
Have you done any evening hunts?

That's the plan. The morning I spooked that buck I actually went out that evening without my stand. No luck, but it did make me buy a thermacell.

scottofalltrades

That's a hell of an accurate way of describing it haha. I happened to be working in Texas last week and found an outfitter that offered me 15% off everything. I didn't tell her I would have paid 15% extra lol.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have seen deer across from the archery range in the dog training fields which are huge. the area you are likely in also has a lot of squirrel hunters in the woods..
cross your fingers some amish show up and do some driving.

scottofalltrades

I have seen deer across from the archery range in the dog training fields which are huge. the area you are likely in also has a lot of squirrel hunters in the woods..
cross your fingers some amish show up and do some driving.

Yeah,I had saw some decent sign when I took my daughter squirrel hunting by the dog training grounds. Went there on opening day and saw nothing. Saw two guys coming out of the woods in the parking lot with zero squirrels but heard them fire a million rounds.

Do the Amish do big drives? Are they allowed to?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yeah,I had saw some decent sign when I took my daughter squirrel hunting by the dog training grounds. Went there on opening day and saw nothing. Saw two guys coming out of the woods in the parking lot with zero squirrels but heard them fire a million rounds.

Do the Amish do big drives? Are they allowed to?
The Amish do whatever they want lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had subcontractors that were Amish working for me in VA and was surrounded by them in Carroll County when I was working down there on the rigs a lot.
Anytime you get a couple van loads of Amish on a piece of ground you might as well forget about hunting it or any surrounding property for at least a year.

Qback5

I used to hunt that area, and same experience. Lotta non-deer hunting traffic messed up deer patterns. But deer are there...good luck!

Jake_C

Anytime you get a couple van loads of Amish on a piece of ground you might as well forget about hunting it or any surrounding property for at least a year.
I used to do line clearance tree trimming and we were working over In Carroll county during gun season. Ended up on a piece owned by the Amish and the literally had fugging trumpets out driving deer. Trumpets! They shot everything in sight. Most of the deer were able to carried out like small dogs. I packed up and didn't come back until after gun season.