Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite High-End Bourbon or Scotch

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My annual western bird hunting trip is approaching fast and this year I'd like to take a bottle of something special along for the ride. I've never had scotch, but I hear a good scotch is pretty tough to beat. I typically have 4-6 bottles of bourbon in the cabinet, some cheap stuff for mixing and above-average stuff for drinking straight. I like Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and here lately I've been drinking some Four Roses single barrel that is pretty damn good.

Bourbon and scotch drinkers of TOO... let me know what is your favorite or what you recommend. Keep in mind, this is a special bottle for a special trip, so I don't really have a maximum price I'm trying stay under.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've sipped on Pappy Van Winkle 23 year and it was great. It's hard to find and pretty pricey but that's the highest high end I've ever tried.

For normal special occasions I prefer Woodford Reserve followed by Makers Mark. Different tastes between the two but they're my #1 and #2.

I don't know Scotch at all so I'm of no use there. Guess I need to diversify

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've sipped on Pappy Van Winkle 23 year and it was great. It's hard to find and pretty pricey but that's the highest high end I've ever tried.

For normal special occasions I prefer Woodford Reserve followed by Makers Mark. Different tastes between the two but they're my #1 and #2.

I don't know Scotch at all so I'm of no use there. Guess I need to diversify
Damn near 3k for that bottle lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ya you'd need a swift kick in the ass if you dropped that on a bottle lol. That brand does get cheaper though as you go down in aging years.
More like a Milo hammer to the nuts! Haha. I'll have to look into that brand... never heard of it before.

I'd like to try some good quality scotch since I'm a scotch-virgin, but I know nothing about scotch.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
More like a Milo hammer to the nuts! Haha. I'll have to look into that brand... never heard of it before.

I'd like to try some good quality scotch since I'm a scotch-virgin, but I know nothing about scotch.
Neither do I, I always drank Evan Williams or Jack[emoji23]

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I used to be heavy on the JD. Had to give it up for a while. Never really got back into it. But when I do drink whiskey its JD Honey, from the freezer. Im not a high end kind of guy when it comes to whiskey. It just burns like hell, probably couldn't tell the difference. Ill stick to Bud Light.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I was a Scotch virgin until recently. Bottle of Dewars is nice to try to see if you like it. Pretty good. Not terribly expensive. Comparable to Woodford or Makers Mark if I recall.

I got a crash course education. It is very limited. I was told to put a splash or two of water in it. It helps bring out the flavor. Seemed to help. I am a newbie to it really.

Buckmaster

Portage
High end to me is Jack Daniels or Jim Bean about every other year around Christmas time. I'm a Natty Light guy....high end water.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Just when I thought Jim Brown couldn't be any manlier, he's seeking to upgrade his Bourbon game.
(Fugger will probably replace the Dos Equis guy soon....) :smiley_attention:

Just save your money, buy a bottle of Crown, enjoy, and use the bag for hunting shit.

Buckmaster

Portage
What's the one with the horse as the bottlecap?

Blanton's is a brand of bourbon whiskey produced and marketed by the Sazerac Company. It is distilled in Frankfort, Kentucky at the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

The Blanton's brand was launched in 1984 under the guidance of the distillery's master distiller Elmer T. Lee, as the first modern bourbon brand marketed as a single barrel bourbon.[1] The original brand name was "Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon".