Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knife sharpener

PSE13

Shelby
I am looking for a good knife sharpener. I need to sharpen my Gerber hunting knife. I emailed Gerber and they said it needs to be 30 degrees . 15 degrees on each side. Anyone know of a good sharpener that can do this?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
To be honest, an accusharp will do it pretty
Close but it's 20 degrees I think. I would recommend you just get a outdoor edge knife with a replacement blade.. Super slick

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You should be fine. It's hard to find 15 degrees on common sharpeners. I have a wicked edge sharpener that can do any degree you want but that's big money. I bought mine to do broadheads also but honestly I haven't found the touch yet.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I use an idahone V sharpener but the shallow angle is 18 degrees. It's a sweet sharpener, though. I used to have a heck of a time getting my knives razor sharp but with the idahone it's easy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep especially if you want to do things like axes and large knives. The edge pro apex is a more precise sharpener but is not as versatile as the Worksharp.

A buddy has the work sharp and it's the best/easiest I've seen to date...

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I also have a Worksharp. It is great, but I always find myself going back to my plain old Smiths sharpening stone. I can get my Buck 119 scary sharp with it in just a couple minutes.

Just a heads up even if you use a high end sharpener on your gerber do not be disappointed when the blade is dull or the edge rolls after only month of use. Gerber 420 blade steel has an extremely low carbide count and is very soft. It's not the sharpeners fault that the steel is poor quality.

Jay the worksharp is a good sharpener and is more versatile in the fact you can remove more meterial. I have used the worksharp to finish primary grinds on knives I have made. The edge pro apex can do things the work sharp can not. I have much better results using the EPA to reprofile secondary bevels. The epa is so precise that you can create a micro bevel on the second bevel. Doing this on a hard high carbide staibless blade steel like cmp s30v gives you a much sharper edge, longer blade life and a longer interval between sharpenings.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Worksharp

Which model do you own?
This one? https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-W...+Sharp+Knife+and+Tool+Sharpener,+Model#+WSKTS

To be honest, an accusharp will do it pretty
Close but it's 20 degrees I think. I would recommend you just get a outdoor edge knife with a replacement blade.. Super slick

Do you mean something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-Kniv...&qid=1475409555&sr=8-1&keywords=Havalon+titan

I use an idahone V sharpener but the shallow angle is 18 degrees. It's a sweet sharpener, though. I used to have a heck of a time getting my knives razor sharp but with the idahone it's easy.
I just watched a Youtube video and that looks pretty slick. Also looks like you could take it with you and sharpen anywhere. Thing is, you gotta have a pretty steady hand and keep the knife straight. I'm thinking I'd like something a little more idiot proof.

I also have a worksharp and like it a lot.
Which one ya got?

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Which model do you own?
This one? https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-W...+Sharp+Knife+and+Tool+Sharpener,+Model#+WSKTS

Do you mean something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-Kniv...&qid=1475409555&sr=8-1&keywords=Havalon+titan

I just watched a Youtube video and that looks pretty slick. Also looks like you could take it with you and sharpen anywhere. Thing is, you gotta have a pretty steady hand and keep the knife straight. I'm thinking I'd like something a little more idiot proof.

Which one ya got?

Just the Basic one. If I did it again I would buy the Ken onion model. Just a few nicer features.

Jamie

Ohio
for those of you that have the Worksharp, any complaints? do the belts hold up reasonably? any issues with adjusting belt tracking? I'm seriously considering the Ken Onion model after hand sharpening knives and broadheads all my life, I just don't care to spend the time like I used to. hoping this gizmo will save me some time keeping my blades up.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
for those of you that have the Worksharp, any complaints? do the belts hold up reasonably? any issues with adjusting belt tracking? I'm seriously considering the Ken Onion model after hand sharpening knives and broadheads all my life, I just don't care to spend the time like I used to. hoping this gizmo will save me some time keeping my blades up.
The belts hold up for a while, I think mine lasted about 2 years with a decent amount of use. The nice thing is other companies make other grit levels of belts that fit. The men onion model is more adjustable than the one I have also.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Amazon has some, blade forums had more suggestions depending on what you want to do. The ones included can ppt a shaving edge on a blade easily, other fruits just give a nicer finished product.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
image.jpgimage.jpg I own a lot of knife sharpeners and this is the best one out there IMHO. I'm selling all of my other sharpeners the next time we have a yard sale. I got mine on eBay.