Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home and auto insurance

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I currently have Allstate but their rates keep climbing . I've compared them to some other rates online and they are alot higher than other quotes I've gotten.

I'm gonna switch companies but wanted to see if anyone here had recommendation on anyone ..either good or bad .

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I like smaller midsize companies. When Katrina hit American family doubled my rates and dropped them immediately. I'm with central insurance company and couldn't be happier. They aren't spread all over heck and when something bad happens on the coast my rates stay the same.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wife and I have been customers of Progressive for almost ten years and they've been really good to us. We work with a small town agent out of Crawford County where my wife is from.

Big Weff

Athens
I swear by my state farm. Not to say ive been in the insurance game for a long time but ive had the house insured with them for 2 years and my vehicles a little longer. Mines the same as jagermeister in that its a small town branch that i deal with. Always make my bi-annual and annual payments in person. Seems to me a little good repore with your insurance provider never hurts

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I use to have Progressive, had them for years. I had my wife, my daughter ( that is a college grad with high honors ) and myself. Had the same rates for years. The on Xmas Eve of 2014 ( I believe ) my daughter was on I90 coming from Mentor to Ashtabula and was in the middle of a 40 to 50 car pile up. She was stopped in traffic and some dip sh*t flew up behind her, slammed into her rear end of her car that pushed her into the car in front of her. Thank God she was alright but it totaled her car that I had bought for her. She was not sighted but when the claim came through that bit*ch "Flo" and Progressive doubled my rates!!! When I called them they said it was because she had a speeding ticket prior to the accident. I dropped them like a spine shot buck and went with LIBERTY MUTUAL and actually pay a lot less then I did prior to the accident with the same coverage. All though now my daughter pays her portion of the policy. Bottom line is I hate Insurance Companies. I want out of this job and have had offers to go TOO work for Insurance Co.'s but I refuse. Just my 2 cents.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Footnote....................I also had Progressive for my home insurance, when I went to LIBERTY MUTUAL, same coverage almost 50% less.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had State Farm for 17 years and my rates never went down. Every year the house gets older, every year the cars get older. Yet every year the insurance either stays the same or goes up. So about a year ago after we got married my wife and I got copies of all of our plans. Two houses, two cars, and a truck. We made a list of our coverage amounts and sent them to quite a few companies with the relevant details.

Below is how they came back from most expensive to least.

Nationwide
Allstate
State Farm
Progressive
Westfield.

As we all know cheap BS expensive isn't how to compare coverage so we asked for the policies and reviewed them. Actually what we found was the cheapest Westfield had the best coverage on the houses. It included things that the other policies didn't. Things like freezer contents, and even some other stuff like travel insurance coverage that had nothing to do with the house. Nationwide was around 25% more expensive than Weatfield. I filed a claim with State Farm prior to dropping them for storm damage on siding and the roof and I asked the roofer what he thought if them. He had nothing but good things to say about Westfield. I called my Westfield agent and told him I planned to file a claim with SF prior to switching he actually reduced my quote since the roof and siding was going to be repaired reducing their liability of preexisting damages. Lol.

I switched and couldn't be happier. The 2k a year back in my pocket makes it nice also. Westfield only deals in a surrounding state area so you're not absorbing the massive losses of places like Florida and the fires and tornados out west. Plus I'm not paying for the massive tv, radio, and print ads that the top 4 up there spend every year.

Buckmaster

Portage
I have Nationwide on home and autos. We began our relationship in 1987.

I have shopped them around but with all my internal discounts with them I can't find anyone to beat them.

Annually home is about $ 650.00 and Auto is $ 1,600.00 for 3 new vehicles.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Grange. They're an Ohio company and I saved $1,500 on car insurance alone. Obviously I'll watch my rates, but come on Nationwide, you were't on my side. Raped for years.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have USAA for everything. House, 4 cars, RV, boat, and an extra liability umbrella policy. Made the change about 6 years ago after many years of being raped by American Family. If you are eligible I definitely recommend looking into them. Only claim we have had was real easy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Erie has been cheaper for us for all insurance. We check about every two years. They have been easy on claims.

My neighbor is an Erie agent and we made the switch. SF was raping me and I went to Nationwide. Then they did the same. So the flavor of the year this year is Erie.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My neighbor is an Erie agent and we made the switch. SF was raping me and I went to Nationwide. Then they did the same. So the flavor of the year this year is Erie.

I check them out periodically throughout the years and they've never had a rate worth changing too.... Some guys I worked with have had them for decades and loved them....

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I had grange on my house and auto for a few years when i first got my own place... the first year wasn't that bad but the second and third year they raised thier rates to where i was paying $1900 a year for home ins. and 1200 a year for liability on my 02 f150. My neighber then became an ins agent and qioted me through his office. For a comparible policy and adding full coverage on my truck( which i have sonce replaced) i payed 1700 a year for everything. That is through Home/Auto Owners Ins.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ours is unique. My insurance guy quotes out all our policies every couple years to see if there is a better fit. Some areas Auto Owners is cheaper. Other areas Westfield is cheaper. When we combine the business insurance, personal home policy, personal vehicles, rental properties, etc., Motorists has remained the best comprehensive package. We do use Hagerty on the Nova. We do use Progressive on the motocycles. One or two of the rentals have Auto Owners. The rest is Motorists. I think the key is finding an insurance agent with the ability to shop multiple carriers. Find one who is honest and works with you and trust they will guide you the right direction.