Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bipods

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm am in the market for a reasonable priced bipod that would mount to the front rail of a RRA/ 20" barrel.
It wont see heavy use but some range time for paper and woods for varmints.

Any recommendations of units to buy or to stay away from ?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jim, I have the Caldwell bipod on my .243 and my only regret was not buying it years ago....
It's not the same model that Greg posted but same setup except mine has the stud that it connects too instead of the rail.... It's not the same quality as the Harris bipod but it's almost half the price and I used it a lot without any issues it's first season....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I put one of these on my RRA and I really like it so far. It's basically a Chinese knock off of the Atlas bipod. Other than maybe a different logo and slightly sloppier tolerances, you can't really tell the difference between it and the Atlas. Maybe not a battle tested bipod, but for the average Joe it's probably pretty tough to beat. I really like how you can fold it either forward or backwards.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blob-Outdoors-Black-Tactical/dp/B018J20CJY

antiqucycle

East Ohio
One important thought is do you want to shoot from a sitting position? or a prone position? or off a bench to sight in.
I did buy a monopod at a flea market and suggest you avoid them. it was a copy of a Harris.
Depending on your AR front sight you might want to buy a military surplus bipod like used on Vietnam style AR's.(A1 atyle) its not adjustible.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I would expect sitting or prone will be a necessary option due to the hunting intent. Fixed legs would not be something I would want to drag through the woods and I don't feel a mono would give me the stability I'm looking for.... Thanks for the input though.

I could sand bag at a bench. I would want the option to adjust the legs for various setups when afield.
I'm just tired of making one every time I go out from 2 sticks and a zip-tie. lol

Please feel free to add to the thread. I just wanted you all to know I was checking in.

I appreciate the input guys. Thank you.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Jim, I have the Caldwell bipod on my .243 and my only regret was not buying it years ago....
It's not the same model that Greg posted but same setup except mine has the stud that it connects too instead of the rail.... It's not the same quality as the Harris bipod but it's almost half the price and I used it a lot without any issues it's first season....

Which one J.
What are the lengths the legs start and extend to?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Is there a reason the legs with or with-out springs are better or worse?
Is the pivot that big a deal or is fixed pretty much all that is needed?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pivoting legs is the way to go if you are gonna hunt with them.

Amen.... There's a lot of angles when shooting from the ground and this cures most of them.... Not all, but most.... The springs allow it (the gun) to be pivoted forward or back to raise or lower it closer to the ground and still have a stable platform to shoot from.... Mine has the springs, but does not have the availability to mount to the rail like you're using.....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Also, if you couple a good set of bipods with a sand bag for the rear, or I use one of these, it makes for a great bench rest!

Attachments

• 323225-large.jpg
    323225-large.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 183