Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

As I sit here bored

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was thinking about the property I'm hunting and the guy who has permission to hunt this farm and the adjacent one as well. Earlier this year as we were texting back and forth about the upcoming season and what we've noticed so far between he and cameras and I and groundhog hunting. He said he wasn't hunting the property as he's seen better movement and more bucks on the other property as he has food plots and mineral sites and more hardwoods area. He had sent me pictures of the bucks he was seeing on cameras and it confirmed for the most part of what I had been seeing while glassing and groundhog hunting. He sent a couple pictures and pointed out which was his number 1&2 targets for the season. This had got me to thinking, since he's picked which ones he's after, what happens if I shoot his #1 or 2 buck if it strolls by one evening in front of me while I'm on stand????
Would I be in the wrong? Would he be justified in being angry? There's only a couple of bucks worth shooting down there but there are also a couple of cull bucks as well.
This is all hypothetical so far, I know what I'll do if the scenario plays out, but was curious as too what most would do if placed in said circumstances......
Like the heading says, I'm bored and just a random thinking pattern I'm on lol....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I agree with the others. Is he thinking the same thing? Would he feel bad about shooting one that's on your list? First come, first served.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Shoot first. If the topic arises later I'd offer my half hearted condolences. It's free range.

I agree.

Its nice to communicate but sometimes it leads to problems.
Its fair chase J and its not like you changed locations to go after "his" deer.
If you have the opportunity, take him. If he questions the kill, I would respond "guess you should have stayed on the property next door after all".

Good luck!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They are not "HIS" bucks J.
I think most hunters running cams or scouting,glassing fields have target bucks they would like to kill but it doesn't always play out that way.
Some get hit by cars and some are killed by other hunters.
That's why it's called hunting.
Good luck i hope ya get one of them.
Not sure if he is your friend or just a guy hunting the property but if he has a problem with you kiling "HIS" buck he's not or would not make a good friend

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Its a deer he can't control where it goes or who kills it. I was hunting a big one a few years ago and a kid I know ended up killing it down the road. I had no clue he was hunting the area but when I found out I shook his hand and said congrats. Can't be mad at you for being at the right place at the right time.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
If in range, it's now your deer.

This has happened to me once. Two guys, same property though. He "picked" a deer he liked and I voiced liking a different deer. But I also said I would not pass a shooter for any reason~~he also agreed. I shot the one he liked and things were never the same. Hope it would turn out different for you.

rsmith

All's fair in the woods. I can understand where you are coming from but what if you like those bucks too and want to shoot one too? I wouldn't hesitate to shoot because I was in the right spot at the right time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Pretty much going to say the same thing everyone else has. Those aren't his deer, kill one of them if you get a chance.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Get r done, J .... no question asked... put that buck on the wall, dude. :beavis: