Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2016 Journal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First hunt of year. Settled into stand by 630. Blew out big, deep snorting deer on way in. Not cool. Unsure if other hunters on neighboring properties. Not a deer seen while in stand thus far. Still blessed to be out here and able to hunt.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hi Phil !

Missed you this morning.

IMG_0826.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks CJD. You're not helping. Ok. Well I did smile when I saw that.

In efforts to try new things I have been practicing in the yard with the Ghost Blind. Then . . . . Squirrel. I mean, literally. There was a squirrel. The hunt was on. I scramble to the house. Took off a field tip and opened the package of G5 small game heads I had bought. Long story short, they fly true. Took this one off my back patio about 15-20' up. Kept running around the tree with another as my dogs went nuts. This one stopped. I made it count. As I was snapping a picture Hank snagged it and took off. Freaking dog doing what dogs do. I wanted to skin it and have a little meal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was pumped when I heard the arrow bouncing thru the trees and heard the thud of a squirrel hitting my lawn. I was banging on the back door and yelling "Did you see that? Did anyone see that? That was awesome!" You'd have thought I shot a booner. Then Hank grabbed him and was prancing around. My 14yr old daughter shook her head and laughed. She said "You know I am going to have to share this story with my friends dad. You and Hank were both strutting around the lawn proud of that squirrel." lmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
(Nice shooting though Phil. A deer should be easy with your current groups) :smiley_coolpeace:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Phil knows I think the world of him.
But I'll say it here so others know.

You da man Phil.
(Buy ya still smell like squirrel and probably Hank now. I giggled picturing you chasing em around the yard trying to get your prize back... lol)
Forgive me...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Jim. Hank is normally quick to drop when give the "drop" command. Today he was like "eff you! This is my squirrel!"

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice shooting Philbert! How do you like that ghost blind?

So so. With any wind it is tough to stabilize. It is tall enough (I got the taller version) to hide you well. Just a tad too tall to kneel and shoot over so I find myself kneeling to shoot thru an opening or sort of standing/squatting just taller than the blind. I like it for turkey hunting real well. Haven't used it for deer hunting yet. Not sure if it will work or not. Might steal Garrett's crossbow if I use it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Day 2. Hunted 430-8pm. Sweaty night on stand. Saw one deer at the end of the sit. Basket racked buck. I did hear antlers off and on and also heard some trees shaking a bit. There were some deer close, but I didn't see them. Climbed down. Started to make my way back towards the vehicle and I found all the deer in the bean field I needed to walk past. I hunkered down and did a slow walk like a hunchback. Made it back to vehicle with a dozen deer still in the field. Don't think they should count as deer seen while on stand. I was on my way to my car when I saw them. lol

Number of hunts: 2
Hours on stand: 6.5
Deer seen: 1