Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kids and hunting...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I know about the apprentice license. What are the legalities of having kids/youth/non-hunters with you while hunting.

Easy example for discussion:

Double stand, I am hunting. I have my wife or kids with me just observing. What if anything do they need? Is it different or the same pending age? They are not participating just watching. The ORC isn't the easiest to navigate sometimes.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't think they need anything if they are just observing. It's when your aiding a hunter that you need a license.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As long as they are not in the act of hunting (carrying any hunting weapons) they do not need anything. That is the way it was explained to me by the people at District 5 offices. I called them to ask about it before Connor started going out with me. That was 10 years ago so not sure if anything has changed.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've always been told as long as they are just watching, they do not need anything. If for example you have them turkey hunting, they are not allowed to call.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you have them actually hunting during a youth hunt, etc., they are to be close enough to communicate in a normal speaking voice. That's about all I remember.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If they are just "watching" and not armed, I don't believe they need any license either.