Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Self defense insurance ....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Liability insurance is a thing that a lot of people should have, there was a company years ago that advertised that they could insure you and no one would know about it but not sure if that's still available these days.... The wife has it for her nursing license and she's had it since she graduated school....

Kevin, they show any pricing at all for it?

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
Here's a good thread on the topic: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=83485

Quote from SeanC (an attorney & site OFCC Coordinator):

I'm not a big fan of the self-defense insurers. Most of them aren't really insurers in that there is no security behind what they promise. It's a defined benefit plan, and if you ever need to file a claim, you just have to hope they make good. But there are two huge reasons I don't like them. The first is that many of them don't provide a benefit that is worth anything. A good criminal defense will run at least $25k in a self-defense shooting. Perhaps upward of $50k if you take it all the way to trial and need experts. The same goes for the civil side. If there is some merit to the civil case, your legal bill can easily exceed $50k. A lot of the services offer a benefit of $10k for each of the criminal and civil cases. It's something, but it's not going to be enough to get you a top flight lawyer. At $250/hour, which is a reasonable rate for an experienced attorney, $10k gets you 40 hours. You're not getting a good criminal or civil defense for 40 hours. So if you get a pre-paid service, make sure you know what the benefit is, and that it's substantially more than that.

The second thing I don't like about the programs is you don't know who your lawyer will be. When you dig into a lot of these services, you find that they are really owned and operated by a lawyer, and the lawyer may or may not have any experience litigating cases. I have a friend who is assigned counsel for a pre-paid self-defense service, and she's never taken a felony case to trial before. She's never taken a complex civil case to trial, and she's never done a civil use-of-force case before. So woe to you if you sign up with that service (which shall go unnamed) and have to make a claim. Be sure you sign up with a service that either pays the benefit directly to you so you can hire whomever you wish, or sign up with a service that is very clear about who their lawyers are and do your homework to confirm that they're legit. Also, you'll want to find a service that has Ohio-licensed attorneys on call.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Last edited:
This may seem petty to some but......when you have a firearm loaded with a "self defense" round such as a hollow point if and when you go to court you will be challenged for having your firearm loaded with the intent to kill someone. For this reason my ccw has a target round in the chamber followed by a clip full of hollow points. If the first round stops someone that's great and I had the gun loaded with a target round. If not I got more for ya

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This may seem petty to some but......when you have a firearm loaded with a "self defense" round such as a hollow point if and when you go to court you will be challenged for having your firearm loaded with the intent to kill someone. For this reason my ccw has a target round in the chamber followed by a clip full of hollow points. If the first round stops someone that's great and I had the gun loaded with a target round. If not I got more for ya
This has never been a feasible arguement in shootings. It is quite frankly a gun store wives tale. Any lawyer worth anything will draw comparison lines between self defense rounds and that the police use the same.

Reloaded self defense ammo is a different story. It was an issue in the Miller case.

Ayoob goes pretty deep into it if yulou wanna read it. He is used extensively in SD shooting cases.

I'm just going souly off of cases close to home with people I know. I live life with a Bullseye on me already so I try in every way to get the upper hand in self defense be it from criminals or cop hating lawyers. I am a 6'2 white guy with a badge and a shaved head. Just getting out of bed everyday makes me a target.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thanks for your service.

In any shooting situation everything will be analyzed and the shooter will be questioned on everything.

Why do you use such a large caliber? Even though they know said caliber is standard

Why do you use those evil, killer bullets? Even though they are standard.

Why did you shoot 6 times? They would know that standard is shoot until the threat stops.

Anything can be made an issue. Carrying standard hollow points is the least of my concerns.

Thanks for your service.

In any shooting situation everything will be analyzed and the shooter will be questioned on everything.

Why do you use such a large caliber? Even though they know said caliber is standard

Why do you use those evil, killer bullets? Even though they are standard.

Why did you shoot 6 times? They would know that standard is shoot until the threat stops.

Anything can be made an issue. Carrying standard hollow points is the least of my concerns.

Agreed and I totally understand. I'm not knocking anyone and I know every situation is viewed differently. For example my wife keeps her weapon loaded with the best defense round I can buy. Why? Because that's a woman, a wife, and a mother. However I look back on the times I had to justify doing my job by writing a short novel just because of my height, haircut, and skin color. Pretty ridiculous but that's the times that we live in. I support every ccw holder out there because those are the ones that can really make a difference when the authority's are out of reach.

Gunther

I had woman walk into my house almost two years ago with multiple gsw's and a slash to the neck. We live in a secluded area with great neighbors, as I was tending to the victim my wife was armed and ready, the last thought on our mind was insurance.

But maybe we should rethink it.