Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broad head target that will last more than two weeks?

Jake_C

I got tired of the cheap targets wearing out so fast so I invested in a Block target. well after about 3-5 dozen broad heads my arrows are about to be blowing through this thing already....

Any recommendations on something that will last a couple of years? I usually end up buying 2 targets a year so i'm more than willing to fork out some money for one that will last me a couple of years.

They are ugly but I swear by them. Obviously you can't hammer it with broadhead every day but they hold up well. Normally when you shoot it with a fixed head it just pulls right back out of the hole instead of dragging a bunch of shrapnel with it. They are also HEAVY. My neighbor has a big one that we move with the tractor. These are not pick up and move around targets for anyone who wants to know.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You really don't need to shoot broadheads all that much. Not much can take that kind of beating and hold up

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You really don't need to shoot broadheads all that much. Not much can take that kind of beating and hold up
I was wondering. I shoot broad heads to verify they are flying true with field points. Then they are set to the side and.i keep shooting field points.

Jake_C

Come down to Dalton ga and get a blob target. Been shooting the same one for years and years. Made from melted down carpet padding.
I was looking for these for a while and couldn't find a local dealer. I hate to buy anything without putting my hands on it but I may have to take the risk. I've heard nothing but good about them.

Jake_C

It's more of a confidence thing for me right now. I haven't taken a shot at a deer in 3 or 4 years. I want to be completely confident in my exact set up. May not be necessary but I'm hoping it will make me more confident when its on the line.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's more of a confidence thing for me right now. I haven't taken a shot at a deer in 3 or 4 years. I want to be completely confident in my exact set up. May not be necessary but I'm hoping it will make me more confident when its on the line.

You can actually be counter productive if your not careful. Bend a blade and you will be pulling your hair out. Simple rule, if you can pull a clean paper tear, broadheads spin true and broadheads and field point have same POI at 30 then you done man....don't make this harder than it needs to be.

I get where you are coming from. When I shot muzzys I would keep one in my quiver with dull blades and shoot it as often as I could. Get my bow out put it on and fire one shot. The repetitive action of shooting a broadhead really helped me. It's in your head and was for me as well but at the time I did what made me confident.

Jake_C

You can actually be counter productive if your not careful. Bend a blade and you will be pulling your hair out. Simple rule, if you can pull a clean paper tear, broadheads spin true and broadheads and field point have same POI at 30 then you done man....don't make this harder than it needs to be.

I'm sure you're right. I'm kind of in panic mode right now so I swapped to field tips today anyway. I was shooting great, 3 inch groups at 50 consistently, got sent out of town for a week. Came back and I'm all over the place even at 20 and 30. Im sure it's mental.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Tractor supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Rural King foam blocks, they are free if you ask. When trailers are shipped to these stores, they stack them and use white foam blocks to keep them from touching. Anyway, you can go in and ask them if they have extras. They are 12×12×18 I think. I have nine of them in a target frame I built (36×36×18) and I've been shooting it for years. You can rotate the blocks and it will last forever, plus it's free.

This pic was when I first built my range. Obviously, I put the blocks in long ways now. Keeps the arrows from blowing through so quickly. That range has been in place for five or six years and I've only swapped out two blocks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Come down to Dalton ga and get a blob target. Been shooting the same one for years and years. Made from melted down carpet padding.

How fitting that the carpet capital of the world would also make melted carpet pad archery targets. Lol. Trips me out every time in drive through there. Bobs carpet, Jim's carpet, carpet world, carpet carpet and more damn carpet every building you see. Lol.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
They're probably still recycling the red carpet they rolled out for Sherman......

(Oh Lord forgive me I had to take the shot rotflmao