Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Property lines public land/private borders

mitch_foster15

Geauga
I suppose i should ask my local game warden about this but i thought id see what you guys think. i live in northeastern OH and there is a swamp i stumbled onto through the county auditors maps. The swamp is split about 50/50 by a property line. The line divides someones private property, and public land and it runs right through the middle of the swamp. I have hunted there twice but have been there numerous times throughout the season scouting and I've never seen a soul. Either I'm not supposed to be there at all, or when people see the guys trail to his side of the swamp on google they automatically assume its private. I don't want to hunt his side even though if i don't touch the bottom its feasible. I just never see anyone and I'm hoping I'm good to go, and actually have a little honey hole… just went there last weekend for goose and teal. geese were too high but saw about 2 dozen woodies and a dozen teal.. to quick for us that day :smiley_boos:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's a good question and usually a good one for the GW. He would be the one writing the ticket so his take is key.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you're hunting on the public side you should be good. But, as soon as you cross that line, you're on private property. I think the whole "I'm not trespassing as long as I don't touch bottom" only applies to navigable waters, not isolated marshes.

Have you asked the landowner for permission yet? Thatd be the easiest solution to your dilemma.

mitch_foster15

Geauga
you guys are right, and I dont plan on going back before talking to him. probably shouldnt have gone till i was 100% sure, but i did stay off the landowners side to be safe. thank you!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If you're hunting on the public side you should be good. But, as soon as you cross that line, you're on private property. I think the whole "I'm not trespassing as long as I don't touch bottom" only applies to navigable waters, not isolated marshes.

Have you asked the landowner for permission yet? Thatd be the easiest solution to your dilemma.

Jim is right as far as " navigable water ways" based on a conversation I had with our last game warden a few years back.
Your on the right track. Hope your finding the land owner results in access to the other half!