Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Immunotherapy--Yellow Jackets

Buckmaster

Portage
Many of you recall the day a nest of yellow jackets took my lawn mower hostage for the day.

Today, I found a new home for yellow jackets rather than gassing them.
Actually, I gave away two nests today.

I responded to an ad in my local newspaper about a company looking to harvest yellow jackets for Immunotherapy. They simply vacuum them out of their nest, place them in a cooler on dry ice, and take them back to their lab.
They use the venom from the females to create some kind of anti venom.

From backyard to medical Lab.

Today, I learned a lot of new things.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/immunotherapy-for-allergies-to-insect-stings

Attachments

• Bees.jpg
    Bees.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 258

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The last time I tried to suck a bee up in the vacuum cleaner it went horribly wrong.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Saw a video of using bee sting therapy on tendinitis as it worked really well other then the stinging part of it.... Aided in the inflammation of the tendons ....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Ya. I've done everything from spray to road flare in the hole to cutting the nest off a limb w/ a 12 GA.

You learn something new almost every day on TOO.
Interesting post.

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
That's pretty neat. Making a good thing out of a bad thing. Once a year I get into yellow jackets. My dad is so allergic to them that he had to make an er trip a few years back. His throat was almost completely swollen shut. Now he has to use epipens. Which as we all know is no longer a cheaper thing to purchase.

Gordo

Athens County
Good stuff right there.

It's been a solid 4 years of mowing grass and this year takes the cake as far as getting stung. I was getting lit up damn near every other day for a good stretch. Damn things

Buckmaster

Portage
Saturday....while riding my four wheeler at Camp getting things setup for tomorrow's festivities....a bee flew into my eye. Of course it stung me. I'm guessing that was a honey bee because it didn't hurt much however I iced it immediately with cold beer.

While mowing grass Weds after work on my zero turn....lightning struck me in the back of the head. I immediately started head slapping myself. Only one sting but it left my skull pounding with every heart beat for the past 2 days.

Yesterday afternoon I snuck back into the scene of the crime and quietly "Bee watched". I discovered another yellow jacket nest amongst some tree roots under a large oak tree.
After football practice last night I flagged it.

This morning I made another phone call to my new friend, Yellow Jacket Girl. She'll be out in 3-5 days to vacuum them up again. They'll get a free ride to the lab again for venom extraction.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
The last time I tried to suck a bee up in the vacuum cleaner it went horribly wrong.

I would love to hear this story and get the details!!

On a serious note this thread is very interesting. Something to keep in mind. Hey CJD, remember those African Wasps that invaded your house years ago??