Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cherokee Reservoir Trip

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I took a little trip with an Army buddy, Crabill, one of his HS friends and another guy this weekend down in Rutledge Tenn. We went to Cardnal Cove on Cherokee Lake. We rented a small cabin for Thursday thru Sunday. Got up early on Thursday morning, my buddy drove 3 hours to my house from Garrett Indiana. We hit the road around 6:15 that morning. Not a bad drive, didn't really hit any traffic. Once we got off 75 onto 25E in KY there were cops every 3 miles it seemed. Well, one of them got me doing 70 in a 55. Within 5 minutes of him turning on his lights, I was back on the road. He gave a me a memento from the Commonwealth. $168. He wasn't rude, but wouldn't even give me a warning. On we go. Got to the cabin around 10:30 and unloaded everything. Mike was in charge of the properties down there. Looked and sounded like Toby Keith. The cabin was decent, not bad for $85 a night. Crabill and I went down to the marina and reserved a pontoon boat for the next day. Steve was in charge of the marina. He's a smaller, little more redneck version of Mike. He took us out to the boat, showed us how it runs, which I already knew how to do. So Crabill and I made our way back up to the cabin and I helped him set up his fishing pole. We also got the smoker going and put the brisket on. The other 2 guys showed up about an hour later. We sat around and shot the shit and drank a bunch of beer. We grilled 4 huge steaks for dinner that night. We went out and did a little fishing off the dock. Didn't catch shit. Late night of drinking for everyone. We got up the next morning at 6 and Crabill had taken the brisket off the smoker around 3 a.m., that was breakfast. Grabbed our gear and headed out to the boat. Got on the water, watched the sunrise and cracked our first beer. We only caught about 8 fish. All blue gill. TOO small to eat, so we turned them into catfish bait. about an hour after we got back, Mike came up and tried to tell me that I broke the prop on the boat. He quickly realized that he wasn't working with some stupid city folks. I told him that Steve never inspected the prop in front of us and if they did an inspection after every use, then I wanted to see proof that the previous trip on that boat had a post use inspection. He quickly changed his story. Later on we saw the prop. The damage was there, but you could tell right off the bat that it was old. Back to the cabin for more beer and college football. Sat around all day eating brisket, drinking beer. We went fishing again that night off the dock. Nothing. Saturday we got up, got the ribs on the smoker and started watching college football all day long. We drank a whole bunch of beer and had some great laughs. It was a great weekend all in all. We are already planning next years trip, but it wont be to Cardnal Cove or Cherokee lake. its a reservoir and the water was way down. You'd think that would make fishing easier, not the case.

20160908_114856.jpg

20160908_124951.jpg

20160909_073531.jpg

20160909_074847.jpg

20160910_135629.jpg