Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11 - The GoodFellas

rsmith

What's up everyone?! Good luck this year, anyone going after a particular buck/bucks or just going out to see what happens?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going after meat this year. If it's 3 and P&Y, it's getting shot. Plus I have a couple tags for Missouri. I'm out for blood in 2016!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Team name ideas? We do have talented graphic design/artist on the team, so we could get some razzle-dazzle going and get a fancy logo!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
What's up fellers! Hopefully I can be a productive member of the team this year..don't hold your breath though. I'm not running any cams or scouting or baiting this year. I'm gonna wait till mid October, and start hitting the woods and just enjoying it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What's up fellers! Hopefully I can be a productive member of the team this year..don't hold your breath though. I'm not running any cams or scouting or baiting this year. I'm gonna wait till mid October, and start hitting the woods and just enjoying it.
Old school. I like it. Had this same talk with a local guy I've known for years at the fair a couple weeks ago. He said he wished he didn't start running cams or baiting. They own a farm where the deer are very predictable and have done the same thing for generations. They've been baiting for a decade and it's guaranteed they can kill a mature buck opening day every year. Seems like a champagne problem, but you can imagine that could kill your drive after a while. Challenge is a good thing. I'm slowly reverting as well. At least for my hunting and that's why I'm going to Missouri. But I'll still have cams and bait for my kid. It really helps to see deer and that's all we are doing on the bait this year: sit and watch.

Good luck out there!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
The farm I hunt has no feilds, no crops. It's basically just woods on a big hillside with shelfs. I've baited and baited, and the big deer just aren't around in the summer/early fall. Come rut they leave their comfort zone and look for the does on this property. Usually if I stay out and don't pressure it and keep the does in here and feeling comfortable, they'll bring in the bucks. I'll live through you guys and some buddies around here that follow big bucks this time of year. I still bait at my house, but just to watch the deer. I have 3 or 4 does and a few fawns in the front yard every morning. It's awsome being able to watch them. On a daily basis I can get within 10 yds of those deer and they just ignore me. I'll even let the German Shephard out and they just watch him and keep on eating. That's the only baiting I do anymore other than late winter when it's cold as hell. I think I'll like this tactic alot better than previous years when I've stressed and gotten worked up about not having nice bucks on camera.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's awesome brother. I enjoy the same here at the house. We own 2.34 acres, but have an acre of woods that's part of a 1K acre block of timber and our yard is lined with perfect brushlines to funnel deer across the road where there's tons of great ground. I see groups of 3-4 deer multiple times a day when I have the feeder set up. I've seen 6 in a group morning and evening for 4 days straight. It's such a joy!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
That's awsome. It's just nice to sip some coffee and watch them on the weekends. uploadfromtaptalk1473786137390.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This is the best one I've gotten. He may be around, but he's tricky and the property I hunt is small.
PICT0315.jpg

rsmith

I'm probably not going to be as productive as others due to me only hunting a small lot, 5 acres, and them building a house to the right of us a couple hundred yards away and then the guy behind us thinks he is at the O.K corral every day shooting off guns so the bucks as pretty much disappeared from here. Got to get my groundblind up tomorrow and then go to the bow shop and I should be all set for season besides trimming lanes.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Next weekend is the opener. You guys ready to roll? I know I'm not. I still have a long list of things to do, and next weekend is my brothers wedding so I won't be making it out.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm not ready, but will be on Saturday. My son and I will concentrate on the park property I won in the lottery for the first three weeks of the season.