Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teal Season 2016

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone else around the state chasing those little blue- and green-winged rockets?

We had a decent opening weekend up here in NW Ohio but since then the numbers have really plummeted. Odd thing is there's more greenwings than bluewings being killed, which is completely opposite to the norm. I hope we get another push of bluewings with this current cold front but I have my doubts.

tjeep

Headed to North Dakota, in 2 weeks we will be covered up with Blue wings out there. Cant Wait

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Headed to North Dakota, in 2 weeks we will be covered up with Blue wings out there. Cant Wait
Hell yea! Good stuff man. I hope you guys get into them good. They're my favorite duck to eat. And of course they're fun as hell to shoot at!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How are the real numbers in Ohio? I've never tried hunting them.
It all depends where you are. Teal are very habitat-dependant. If you don't have shallow wetlands and/or especially mud flats, you likely won't see many teal. They prefer water less than 6" deep. Up here by the Sandusky bay marshes we get them coming through in pretty good numbers. Few other places in the state see anything remotely close.

It all depends where you are. Teal are very habitat-dependant. If you don't have shallow wetlands and/or especially mud flats, you likely won't see many teal. They prefer water less than 6" deep. Up here by the Sandusky bay marshes we get them coming through in pretty good numbers. Few other places in the state see anything remotely close.

x2 I was at pickeral for the opener and it sounded like the opener of big duck season with all the shooting going on! Saw a bunch of teal, missed a bunch of teal too. Came home with 3.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
x2 I was at pickeral for the opener and it sounded like the opener of big duck season with all the shooting going on! Saw a bunch of teal, missed a bunch of teal too. Came home with 3.
Not too shabby. I wish there were more around right now. After opening weekend it pretty much went dead.

JPN

coshocton
I only made it out twice. Didn't see any teal but saw a ton of woodies. Of course the last night of early goose a big flock landed on our pond at dark and have been there every day since.