Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help with invasive weed

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have a weed that is overtaking my food plots. A buddy said it is Prickly Lettuce but I'm not sure. Pictures just don't seem right. The leaves have needles on them and so does the stem. It has a very deep tap root and if not bothered I'm not sure how tall it might grow. Weed killer turns it black within a day but it comes right back. The deer do not touch it. I took a weedeater to it today knocking the tops off so maybe my food plot could grow through. I'm thinking that maybe it was mixed in with some seed that I planted last year.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be and how to kill it? It's probably too late for this year.

Here is a enlarged pic from trail cam. The taller stuff is it. I will take a pic of it next week.

IMG_0109 - Copy.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say Canadian Bull thistle. Or similar thistle in same family. They drop thousands of seeds. In lawns and landscapes it takes several years of adamantly spraying to rid them. The seeds can lay dormant in the ground for years. Turn the soil and they can pop up. It will require a diligent effort to rid them. Repeated trips and applications. I have seen them left untouched grow over 6' tall.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I would say Canadian Bull thistle. Or similar thistle in same family. They drop thousands of seeds. In lawns and landscapes it takes several years of adamantly spraying to rid them. The seeds can lay dormant in the ground for years. Turn the soil and they can pop up. It will require a diligent effort to rid them. Repeated trips and applications. I have seen them left untouched grow over 6' tall.

Not what I wanted to hear!!! But it's a start