Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jury Duty........not now!

Back in July I got a summons for jury duty at our county circuit court up here in Michigan. At the time I could have cared less and kind of forgot about it. Two weeks ago I got a letter reminding me to register and all I could think of was man this is a bad time with everything going on with my mom. Of course my boss was telling me to get a doctors note about my mom and all to get out of it. Jury duty started last Tuesday August 30th. but as I called in to find out when to report I was informed it was postponed til this week. Today I had to report and on my way I'm thinking about my mom, all the things I should say to get out of it, work, etc, etc.. My mom was in good hands with friends offering to help, I was just reluctant to let them at times.

Sitting there hearing the judge speak and tell us all how important it is that we are there for our society to function kind of resonated home with me. When he asked if any had circumstances that would keep them from being able to fulfill their obligation to the court I did not say a word. I listened and soaked it all in. I was quite taken back by the appearance of the people in the court room, mostly the way they were dressed. I was taught you dressed appropriately for something like that so I had on a button up shirt, tie, dress pants and shoes. Out of 40 some people, over half of them were men, I was the only one dressed that way from fellow jurors to defendants appearing before the judge. Some wore T-shirts and ratty old jeans. Years ago when I used to catch shoplifters for a living I dressed appropriately in the same way, except for one time. That one time I had not gotten my subpoena and instead got a phone call one morning from a frantic prosecuting attorney begging me to throw anything on and get to the court. I got there in a T-shirt and blue jeans. As I stepped up to testify that judge gave pause and laid into me on what appropriate dress was and how disrespectful to the court I was. From that day forward I learned my lesson.

Three DWI cases pled guilty, two T-shirts and an old Polo shirt. Couldn't help but think of what I had learned in the past and thought good for them to just fess up and get it over with. Not long after we moved on to the trial case, a domestic assault and battery case. The defendant was sitting in front of me the whole time and I had remarked to myself at least he had a button up shirt on and a tie balled up in his fist. Thought for sure he would put it on before going up but nope, that balled up tie went right into his hip pocket. The rest of the story was pretty exciting and was such an experience for me, never having served on a jury. They called 6 people up, talked for a while, asked questions, then there were 4. Two more called up, two more left. It was humbling to be part of this and see what goes into the selection, what questions they ask of the perspective jurors. Then I heard my name called. Man I thought I was staring at a turdy point buck as all of a sudden I had tunnel vision! The questions were basically the same only it was me answering this time. Soon I found myself 1 of 6 listening to testimony from the prosecution and all the witnesses as well as the defendant himself. Very very humbling moment to be a part of it and I suggest to anyone who might get that Jury Duty summons......enjoy it and soak it in.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been summoned for two jury duties and a grand jury duty.... First two I never stepped foot in the door as we had to call in Sunday evening and follow the directions given... Both times we were dismissed.... The grand jury I had just had surgery and was dismissed because of it since my employer said if I couldn't work I shouldn't be on jury duty as well... The clerk of courts agreed and released me....

Wmiller07

I just got summoned for the end of the month. It would be pretty cool (or possibly depressing) to see how it all works.