Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Left eye dominance

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Can you shoot a right hand bow, left eye dominance? I know this has been discussed but I wasn't sure if everyone was switching to a left handed bow or what. If you can, can someone explain to me?

thank you!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I do. I am ambidextrous. Write left, shoot right. Left eye dominate. I do all things both handed except I rarely kick with my left foot.

I have trained my eyes to switch dominance. It works on everything but shotgun shooting (fast). I have to put a small piece of scotch tape over my left lense. I shoot my bow, right handed, with both eyes open.

Took a lot of tv time and aiming non-dom to get there. It is handy.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I suffer from same ailment. I'm a righty but left eye dominant. And my right eye is starting to lose its sharpness. I have to shoot with one eye. Didnt know there was a fix. I'd love to shoot both eyes open

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I do. I am ambidextrous. Write left, shoot right. Left eye dominate. I do all things both handed except I rarely kick with my left foot.

I have trained my eyes to switch dominance. It works on everything but shotgun shooting (fast). I have to put a small piece of scotch tape over my left lense. I shoot my bow, right handed, with both eyes open.

Took a lot of tv time and aiming non-dom to get there. It is handy.

you shoot through a peep bud?
I shoot well but just had lasik surgery due to me having severe allergies from my contacts. It was either lasik or glasses forever. When they did the lasik consult, they did a test and said, Albert you are left eye dominant. I never really knew, but started thinking shooting left eye might help me.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Both (peep for compound, no peep for trad).

There is a bunch written about how to switch dominance. It wasn't terribly hard for me. But I do have to consciously have to do it.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I shoot with my right eye open and the left eye open a little so so i can see with both for a better shot

PSE13

Shelby
This was my problem when I gust got into archery. I actually sewed up a eye patch to cover my left eye. I only shoot right handed bows.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys that are shooting opposite of your dominant eye should really learn to switch hands. It'll be awkward for a while but in the end you'll become a better shot than you are currently.

PSE13

Shelby
It's weird because I do everything right handed besides shoot guns. When I first got into archery my uncle had gave me a right handed Hoyt Raptor and that's when I decided to go right handed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot pool left handed. Do a lot of things left handed. I am right handed. Left eye dominant. I believe this is part of what is holding me back from tightening my groups much more. They are tighter than they have been in the past, but I don't see them getting much tighter unless I can shoot with both eyes open or something. Switching to left handed may eventually happen.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You guys that are shooting opposite of your dominant eye should really learn to switch hands. It'll be awkward for a while but in the end you'll become a better shot than you are currently.

I've thought of that but dang idk haha

Jake_C

I'm ambidextrous as well. Write left handed, shoot/throw right handed, left eye dominant. I just close that eye and shoot fine right handed. I did shoot a left handed bow for a while and I think I would be better that way eventually but good used right handed bows and accessories are a lot more readily available so I'm sticking with shooting righty.

Flathead76

Athens
I can shoot a bow with both eyes open either right or left handed. Left eye dominate shoot right handed. Have never had an arrow go wide left since I was a kid.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can shoot a bow with both eyes open either right or left handed. Left eye dominate shoot right handed. Have never had an arrow go wide left since I was a kid.
Not trying to call BS, but I just don't see how this is possible... shooting right handed with both eyes open but left eye dominant. There's no way you could possibly look through a peep sight like that, unless your dominant eye is switching when at full draw and you don't realize it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not trying to call BS, but I just don't see how this is possible... shooting right handed with both eyes open but left eye dominant. There's no way you could possibly look through a peep sight like that, unless your dominant eye is switching when at full draw and you don't realize it.
I can actually do it. I can "force" dominant change by simply blinking. Works well with a bow, rifle and handgun. Not so much with a shotgun (bead). May be easier for me being ambidextrous in almost everything?