Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snake Skins

badger

*Supporting Member*
Being that our mods will credit us with a post count from other forums, I figured I will start sharing some I have started in the past.

This one is a few years old, but it might help one of you out someday if you acquire a snake skin you would like to preserve.

First step is to acquire a snake. This one is a western diamond back from Texas.

Lay the snake on his back to skin. Try to keep your belly cut as straight as you can, if not you will have a jagged crooked edge on the finished skin.

I use my thumb between the skin and body to get it started, after that you can just pull the skin off, it is pretty simple. Just be carefull when you get close to the vent, it is easy to rip here.

Next you need to wash the skin in soap and water, dish soap works well.

Dry it off a bit with a towel and start fleshing the skin. I've found that if I pin down the skin as in the pic, it is alot easier. Don't worry about putting holes in it with the pins. The snakes I'm dealing with are full of cactus thorns and holes allready! The holes are small and close up.

After fleshing it, repeat the washing, and flesh it again to get anything you might have missed.
It should look like this when you are done.

The skin now goes into a salt water bath for 2 hours. The recipe I have gives no ratio on salt to water, so I just guess.
Now take the skin out and rinse it thoroughly.
Mix up a solution of 4 parts glycerin to one part water and add the snake. You need to stir or shake this at least 2 times a day for a period of 4-5 days.

You can pull the skins out to dry and hang them lenghtwise. They tend to curl. Either pull them cross ways to keep them open or tack them open on cardboard, and flip them periodically till they stay flat on thier own.

Here's a skin almost finished and one in the salt bath.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
That is cool Dale and a great idea to share some things from the past.

Do you have a photo of how you have the skin displayed?

So did ya eat the snake?

badger

*Supporting Member*
Cool! More importantly, did you eat the snake?

Yes sir Mike I did indeed.

That is cool Dale and a great idea to share some things from the past.

Do you have a photo of how you have the skin displayed?

So did ya eat the snake?

I'll have to look for a pic Jeff. I presently don't have one displayed. Not sure how many I have given away, and my bride has the last one I did at work in her office.

I have three or four in the freezer that I need to get out and get them done. maybe I'll get some new pics when I do.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Cool stuff Badger!! I hiked 46 miles in the Pennsylvania hills over 3 days to catch a rattler and never found one, caught plenty of other snakes, just not a rattler. I think it was because my guide was scared of snakes, I give him credit for taking me outlmao Guy hated snakes but knew I really wanted one, bought a liscense and everything. I need to tag along to Texas with you, fugg the boars, I want a rattler!!!

Buckrun

I have always wanted a couple to use as the back on a long bow. That one really looked good after fleshing. Is really that easy to skin one? I will have to try it next time I get to GA. I have seen them hit on the road but have never seen a live one.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Cool stuff Badger!! I hiked 46 miles in the Pennsylvania hills over 3 days to catch a rattler and never found one, caught plenty of other snakes, just not a rattler. I think it was because my guide was scared of snakes, I give him credit for taking me outlmao Guy hated snakes but knew I really wanted one, bought a liscense and everything. I need to tag along to Texas with you, fugg the boars, I want a rattler!!!

I would be willing to trade you a snake for the opportunity to follow you out on some Erie ice soon. Either by foot or quad works for me.

I have always wanted a couple to use as the back on a long bow. That one really looked good after fleshing. Is really that easy to skin one? I will have to try it next time I get to GA. I have seen them hit on the road but have never seen a live one.

They are really simple to skin, I was amazed myself.

You might need to find a different method for preserving the skin. I have been told the method I use won't let the skin adhere to a bow limb. It will never rot and will look great for years though!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why is it everytime I see this thread title the Brooks and Dunn song pops in my head? "She wears the snake skin boots made by Calvin Klein, cheap sunglasses from the five and dime, all the girls in school give her dirty looks, got an A in math and never cracked the books, sure looks good in her denim and pearls, Rock my world little country girl!!!!!"