Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pyrodex or Triple Se7en?

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
It's about time for some more powder so was wanting opinions on whether I should switch from Pyrodex to T7 from folks who have shot both.
I'm really too old and lazy to mess with measuring powder, but would also be interested in opinions on Blackhorn 209. Thx

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard so many great things about Blackhorn 209, I am considering leaving Pyrodex pellets. They really aren't as clean as they claim. It is still a muzzle loader. The things get dirty.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard so many great things about Blackhorn 209, I am considering leaving Pyrodex pellets. They really aren't as clean as they claim. It is still a muzzle loader. The things get dirty.
Soon as I'm through this batch of trip7 my plan is to go to Blackhorn 209 as well. I've heard many good things about it from some die hard muzzy guys.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have been using Triple 7 for years as well.
I've had a can of blackhorn sitting for 2 years now but haven't had a reason to work up a load with it.

Qback5

Blackhorn 209 is my preference. You can essentially clean the gun as you would a center fire (I use hoppes), never introducing water to the barrel. I've shot up to 10 consecutive rounds with no cleaning patch between any shots...stopped at 10 because ran out of sabots...which I prefer Barnes EZ (blue jacket).

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Triple7 for now. In b pellet form. They are extremely accurate so I will switch to Buckhorn when they run out.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
real Black powder is cheaper! How many times a year do you shoot a muzzleloader? twice?

Triple 7....easy cleanup.

I shoot a lot considering I hunt 2 states and both of my kids enjoy muzzleloader hunting as well. A box of 50g triple 7 pellets usually lasts a year or so.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If Sam sees this he'll probably reply but I believe he may have had an issue with the buckhorn powder last year....

If I remember right it has more oil or oily feel too it?

Triple 7 always seemed to hold e best groups for me between the pyrodex as well as black powder and once sighted in doesn't take many shots to get ready for season with it....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ok J I'm not remembering an issue last year but then again I can't remember what I had for lunch:smiley_chinrub:

I'd rather use black powder than Pyrodex. Black ignights easier, Pyrodex is a little cleaner but both are dirty. T7 is ok, you need to use T7 primers for best accuracy. Bad part about T7 is the crud ring you get with sabots, it's hard to clean. I spit patch between every shot with T7, that helps some.

BH209 is my favorite in a rifle that is designed to use it. Very clean, I can shoot 10 shots without cleaning or even spit patching. BH209 is hard to ignite, needs regular 209 primers. Gives the highest velocities too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ok J I'm not remembering an issue last year but then again I can't remember what I had for lunch:smiley_chinrub:

I'd rather use black powder than Pyrodex. Black ignights easier, Pyrodex is a little cleaner but both are dirty. T7 is ok, you need to use T7 primers for best accuracy. Bad part about T7 is the crud ring you get with sabots, it's hard to clean. I spit patch between every shot with T7, that helps some.

BH209 is my favorite in a rifle that is designed to use it. Very clean, I can shoot 10 shots without cleaning or even spit patching. BH209 is hard to ignite, needs regular 209 primers. Gives the highest velocities too.

Don't know why I was thinking that.... Must have been something/someone else lol

Lundy

Most would agree with Sam. Just my opinion but BH 209 is the superior choice if your gun has the flame channel to ignite it. I personally have never met one person that has tried BH209 and gone back to the T7 or Pyrodex. To each his own however, they all work well to get the job done.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Just ordered a CVA Acurra MR tonight... I plan on getting the BH209 breech plug for it and using BH209... Seems everyone that uses 209 LOVES IT...