Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big and js

whitetailjunky3

Anyone use big and js long range? I'm thinking about getting some I see it has good reviews I've always had luck with trophy rocks but have a new property and wanted to try something different.

jlane

dunn nc
I use big and j, lucky buck and salt,great results. PICT0062.jpgPICT0187.jpg
I use it on every stand.
They hit it best if i get it out by late feb. when they start droppimg antlers.after antlers hardens they tend to back off somewhat.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Never have. You can home brew similar products for much cheaper. I did try their powdered corn stuff one time cause Wal-Mart was practically giving it away. It laid there so long it molded. Deer never touched it.

whitetailjunky3

I've thought about trying it ... the trophy rock just hasn't showed the results the last 2 years want to switch it up

HillBuck

Union Co
I started using it this year. Started out using mineral/salt block and loose salt. I was getting around 300 pics a week (mostly does and fawns with a few bucks I have been watching). Activity started declining so I got some Big and J's. Activity never did pick back up much. I think the amount of corn and bean fields around me had a big impact on camera activity. My mineral site is located in the middle of a 10 acres wooded area where the deer cross between fields. The one thing I did notice was that the bucks started showing themselves more then the does did after putting out Big and J's.

whitetailjunky3

I started using it this year. Started out using mineral/salt block and loose salt. I was getting around 300 pics a week (mostly does and fawns with a few bucks I have been watching). Activity started declining so I got some Big and J's. Activity never did pick back up much. I think the amount of corn and bean fields around me had a big impact on camera activity. My mineral site is located in the middle of a 10 acres wooded area where the deer cross between fields. The one thing I did notice was that the bucks started showing themselves more then the does did after putting out Big and J's.
What kind of big and js was you using ? I was looking at the long range attractant

HillBuck

Union Co
What kind of big and js was you using ? I was looking at the long range attractant

I use the long range attractant. Smells good enough for me to eat!! Only problems I have seen with it is that it attracts coons like CRAZY and starts to smell like fermented corn after a few days if it gets rained on. This could be because it has been so hot and humid. I'm hoping it doesn't do this once the temps drop.

HillBuck

Union Co
I think the big issue was it being so hot and humid after the rainfall. I think it might work better mixed in with some corn in a feeder rather than pouring it on the ground. I will probably stick to shelled corn only later this fall as it is A LOT cheaper than Big and J's and it it is more convenient for me since my father in law has several hundred bushel stock piled each year (he farms).

whitetailjunky3

I'll have to give it a try thanks for the advice. Ya corn will always bring them in once all the crops are off the problem for me is that I have corn and beans around me till mid to late November

HillBuck

Union Co
As long as the weather is decent then i'm usually fortunate enough to have the crops harvested by the end of October or first week of November. I also have an apple surplus from the in laws which really helps when the snow starts falling.

whitetailjunky3

Ya I have never tried corn but I working on making a homemade feeder now. To many coon to just throw it on the ground.

Jake_C

Never have. You can home brew similar products for much cheaper. I did try their powdered corn stuff one time cause Wal-Mart was practically giving it away. It laid there so long it molded. Deer never touched it.

I tried the long range once for the same reason. Tractor supply had it on sale. It sat til it molded. Nothing but birds touched it. Put out some "deer corn" from the local feed shop, corn and molasses, and it was covered up with deer within a couple hours.