Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Under armour drops sponsorship for spearing bear

Wmiller07

Of course they did. What I find funny is that if a company stood up for their beliefs instead of kowtowing to the social justice warriors they would make more money. It's like they don't realize that the majority of people are too busy to constantly complain. Unfortunately conservatives/libertarians aren't as vocal as liberals. I guess that's something we need to work on.

teej89

NE PA
kinda wild they dropped his wife since it was him that did it. He's a bonehead tho... I used to follow him on IG and I gave up on em.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Who cares? Really. If you're spear hunting an animal most people know a Booboo from Yellowstone, you're going to get hate. And UA is a massi4beand that doesn't need the attention for what little contribution these two bring. I've never heard of them until now. IMO, UA did what was best for the brand and it's not something a reasonable person should disagree with.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Spear hunting is bowhunting but with more KE and MO. Just like bowhunting you need to know YOUR range and YOUR shot placement.

It's funny. I have been on AT lately (buying shit for a new set up) and the defending of a BRAND is dumbfounding to me.

Anti's are vigilant and drive points. Sportsman are willing to give a position by defend a brand they like that has no love for them at all.

We lose rights/liberty/privilege a nudge at a time.

Emotion > Logic now

I will not buy another thread of UA shit. They should stick to yoga pants.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like discretion. It's like the guy who carries the 45 long colt in to Wally World cause legally he can. It's not something that goes over well with the masses. My belief is that as sportsman we should be very careful as to how we present ourselves. The rest of the world views us a blood thirsty killers. If you chuck a spear at a bear, you're going to piss people off. It may be a small fraction that spoke up, but I promise you the vast majority of people aren't in favor of that method of hunting. Myself included. It's unnecessarily savage and it's not something we should be promoting. Just my opinion on the subject.

As to UA's response, what do you expect them to do? They're not a hunting first brand. I might expect Cabelas to stick up for someone in this situation, but not a global brand that sponsors everything from college to pro to the Olympics. Sticking their neck out for a couple no bodies in an industry that plays a trivial part in their success is not a smart business play.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Why support/excuse a brand that won't do the same for you when the going gets just a little tough?

Also, spear hunting is MORE effective (i.e. deadly) than bowhunting if done properly.

Again, why give when perception is wrong. Especially since anti's will be anti's anyway.

Makes no sense, as a sportsman, to continue to support UA in my mind. That is like buying AR'S from Dicks or boots from Muck.

We lose all these battles a nudge at a time.

Wmiller07

I'm with beentown on this. Also I don't understand the aversion to spear hunting. If someone broke into my house and all I could grab was my spear I would use it without second thought. Killing an animal with one should be no big deal other than being impressive. Just my 2 cents.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm with beentown on this. Also I don't understand the aversion to spear hunting. If someone broke into my house and all I could grab was my spear I would use it without second thought. Killing an animal with one should be no big deal other than being impressive. Just my 2 cents.
I fail to see the comparison between defending your life and ethically dispatching an animal. You break in my house and threaten my families well being and I'll kill you with a spoon need be. That's not how I'm going to sourxe my food.

I'm going to remain on the other side of the fence on this, so I'll just agree to disagree.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My take on it, UA isn't a hunting orientated business they got into the hunting aspect to make a buck off of stuff they already made... Just changed up the coloring is all...
Them tucking their tail at the first hint of problems isn't a surprise and shouldn't of been for anyone else.... Miya not like they were strictly hunting and got as big as they did by their roots associated with hunting....
They bailed on a spear hunting show that I've never seen and probably wouldn't have taken the time to sit down and watch....
I'll hold onto my UA gear for now... Shits to pricey to throw away or burn and I'm to cheap to do that....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My take on it, UA isn't a hunting orientated business they got into the hunting aspect to make a buck off of stuff they already made... Just changed up the coloring is all...
Them tucking their tail at the first hint of problems isn't a surprise and shouldn't of been for anyone else.... Miya not like they were strictly hunting and got as big as they did by their roots associated with hunting....
They bailed on a spear hunting show that I've never seen and probably wouldn't have taken the time to sit down and watch....
I'll hold onto my UA gear for now... Shits to pricey to throw away or burn and I'm to cheap to do that....
Ah, some outside the box logic. My thoughts as well J. This will remain a fundamental disagreement amongst some, but I have a good analogy for this I'll post later. Got food plots to do first! Lacing up my UA boots now...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've never owned a piece of it and I never will. I'm too cheap. I could care less what they do and the free market will reflect their business decisions. I have a feeling this will have very little affect.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree with Jesse on this one. Not that I agree with UA decision, but I do see why they would do it.

1. 95% of their business is outside of the hunting industry
2. Who do they really target in the hunting industry? (the upper tier as far as wealth goes, majority won't care if spear hunting is included or not)
3. So assuming they lose some business from this decision, they are saving their asses from losing business from the other areas in business. Sally don't wanna buy $100 UA top and $200 UA shoes when her liberal friends tell her UA supports spear hunting.

Unfortunatly it is the world we live in, and when it comes down to business and making money. You gotta do what is best for keeping the company growing.