Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A couple Food Plots.

Here are a couple of my food plots in PA. Haven't done any in Ohio yet. May get one in on labor day, but not sure yet. Have alot of work to do.

My soybean plot on the left with photos taken about a week ago. In places the beans are about 50" high. Planted Tyrone Forage Soybeans. It has done better than I expected as the ground isn't real great where I planted.

Just planted a fall plot of Biologic Last Bite. This is right beside the bean plot. Just starting to come up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a farmer educate me. Saw beans 4' tall. Told him they looked great. He informed me it didn't matter as much about how tall they were or how much green. For their benefit, they are more concerned about beans per pod and pods per plant. I had no idea until the last couple years and I have lived in farm country my whole life. For a food plot, it may not matter as much. Those tall beans are also providing some cover for your deer. Added bonus!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Had a farmer educate me. Saw beans 4' tall. Told him they looked great. He informed me it didn't matter as much about how tall they were or how much green. For their benefit, they are more concerned about beans per pod and pods per plant. I had no idea until the last couple years and I have lived in farm country my whole life. For a food plot, it may not matter as much. Those tall beans are also providing some cover for your deer. Added bonus!

very true phil. Actually AG beans are made to produce large amounts of pods as that is what farmers want. However deer don't eat pods until late season when they want the fat from the beans, and they are totally dried out. Now until beans yellow deer want the bean leaves. This is why you have hybrid soybeans like Eagle beans. They actually are created to continue to grow after they have been browsed, the focus more energy on staying green longer, and producing more forage in leaves vs. pod production. This is why they are really great for food plots vs. regular ag beans.

IMO both a good, and truly depending on how much land you have, when you plan to hunt, etc.

I am by far an expert this is just what I have researched so please correct me if I am wrong.

Haven't posted on this one for a while, but here are some updated pics. The deer are hitting the Biologic Last Bite stuff pretty good now. They didn't really touch it until almost Thanksgiving. Took a few pics to show you how big some of the brassicas/turnips got. Not sure what varities they are but they got pretty big. Put a 12 gauge 2 3/4" shell in the one pic for reference. They are also hitting the soybeans pretty hard too.