Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

October cold fronts

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i try to hunt whenever i know a cold front is coming in. im gonna try to do mostly evening hunts til late october but if a good front comes in ill be out if i can, i know its a ways off yet but ive been checking the weather for opening weekend and if it stays what its showing someone will kill a giant.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
i try to hunt whenever i know a cold front is coming in. im gonna try to do mostly evening hunts til late october but if a good front comes in ill be out if i can, i know its a ways off yet but ive been checking the weather for opening weekend and if it stays what its showing someone will kill a giant.
What are they calling for weather wise in your area on opening day?

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Truthfully I just try and get out when I can with my schedule and not over hunt one spot. I know it cant hurt TOO be sitting in a stand instead of on the couch but with that being said ya gotta love cold fronts coming in.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
In try to not hunt early to mid October other than with my daughter. I really start serious hunting the day after Haloween each year. In my experience I have largely wasted my time buck hunting during most of October. I understand that others have been successful during this time, but in my ten years of experience bow hunting it has largely been a waste of time. Now having kids, I pick my spots and hit it hard when I feel the time is right.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The last storm knocked some red oak acorns to the woods floor here. I like the hard woods.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
If your gonna hunt in Oct ya wanna make sure you are hunting the best odds of Oct . Which are usually evenings , and coincide with cold fronts . I have horrible luck hunting Oct in general, unless I'm just doe hunting and usually it's too warm for me to wanna mess with does then anyways .
So if you are gonna hunt Oct make it evenings , during cold fronts , or if your camera intel tips you off to something . Otherwise keep your good spots fresh , and keep practicing with your bow so when the best hunting starts the tail end of Oct you are ready to make the shot .

I will probably do a fair amount of evening sits in Oct ..being a couple a week just because the last 2 yrs he's left the tail end of Oct , and returned later in Nov.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hunt evenings when the shitty weather is moving in. That's when I've seen the big boys on their feet in early October.

This.

My only mature buck encounters early in the year have been evenings when we've had nice front roll through during the day. If you see a nice temp drop in early October, it's a good night to be in the woods. I still avoid mornings like the plague, but the evenings take on a new feel when you get a front passing through during daylight hours. A storm that ends around 3-4PM and brings a substantial temp drop is a gift from the hunting Gods!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
This.

My only mature buck encounters early in the year have been evenings when we've had nice front roll through during the day. If you see a nice temp drop in early October, it's a good night to be in the woods. I still avoid mornings like the plague, but the evenings take on a new feel when you get a front passing through during daylight hours. A storm that ends around 3-4PM and brings a substantial temp drop is a gift from the hunting Gods!

seen this yesterday rain and heavy thunderstorms quit about 4 around 730 on my way home from work i seen 20 deer when i havent seen any at all lately.

nis1

I killed my buck last year on the evening of October 9th when the temp had dropped 15 degrees on the drop of a dime.

I agree with most of what people have said so far, cold fronts and evenings.

I have a different opportunity this year where I get to hunt a park owned property for the first 5 weeks of season. I will be putting in a lot of hours there because you get back in based on how many does you harvest. I may be able to harvest a buck there as well but I think being able to hunt this for the first portion of the season will keep me out of my other good properties until prime time.

Our food plots get a good bit of traffic early season as the nearest crops are about a mile away, so we hunt them almost exclusively in Oct. Last year had a nice 3.5 year old opening day about 1/2 an hour b4 dark at 50 yds. but he wouldn't close the distance. So....I like hunting the plots until rut time and then hit the woods in the a.m. and still hunt fields mostly in p.m.