Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whats your experience hunting beans early?

Hogmister13

Okay so Ive hunted Rugged KY hardwoods most my life and never had a farm to hunt with soybeans, . This soybean farm I can hunt Is in Ohio but unlike KY, season comes in at the end of september rather than the beginning. I know deer usually quit the beans when they turn yellow and then start hitting them hard again late in the season. Few questions: When do late beans usually start to turn yellow and when are they usually harvested? What's your experience hunting beans early season in Ohio ? I know it's gonna be a good year for acorns and would love to be set up on acorn trees but this farm is limited to acorn trees if any at all, it's mainly soybeans with field edges. Just trying to get an idea of yalls experience with beans early season.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
If they're browning or yellow it isn't good. As hot and dry as it is in this area it'll be starting to turn the beginning of sept If they're a late planting bean and they are green it can be good.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have had great success hunting the beans. Glassing the beans in the evening will tell you plenty about your deer. I set up accordingly.

Hogmister13

Thanks guys. Anybody know roughly the time frame for the harvesting of beans or the browning? . I know weather has effect but just your from your experience a ball park guesstimate ?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've always had dry beans by the start of hunting season and never had the good fortune of a second planting.

Qback5

I've tagged out on the opener hunting over green beans. I second the statement about glassing beans.

Qback5

I should also add that the area I hunt regularly always has beans, corn, wheat, and pumpkins all within a quarter to half mile of my primary stand...the crops just rotate every year. So, I've seen them in beans feeding, and regardless of color I've seen them traveling. Being able to see deer traveling in beans (as opposed to a corn field), is one reason I love being around beans.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Best bet is 2nd planting beans in wheat fields . They're usually nice and green . Passed up this dude a few yrs ago in such a field .

OO2

In the Uplands
We have beans this year. Surrounded by corn on neighboring properties though. The deer travel the bean field a lot even after browning/harvest. Just seems to be their normal route. I hope they continue this pattern as I have a stand over the bean field. Looking to put another stand up just not sure where yet.