Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Hunting

Just wonder how many on here do any squirrel hunting as I know the season is just around the corner. We are used to PA's season not opening until mid OCtober, so the kids and I are anxious to try the early season in Ohio.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Won't be long now!

P1000459.jpg

Last edited:
I hunt them, but not as much as I hunt deer, and pretty much only after I've bagged one.

You'd probably enjoy reading Jamie's 2015 squirrel doggin' thread: http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?19676-Squirrel-Doggin-2015/

One of my favorite pics is "lefty taking inventory" lol:

View attachment 46641

Thanks for the link. I have done alot of coonhunting and rabbit hunting over dogs, but never squirrels. I am sure it is a blast. Looks like Lefty has it figured out.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Make sure to keep us posted on your hunts! You're kinda giving me the itch to maybe do some public land hunts for tree rats come Sept 1. Right now I'm still friggin obsessed with catfishing. Can't get the dang things off my mind!!! lol

Bigcountry40

No pics but I plan doing some late season squirrel hunting, I don't care for it as much in the heat (I hunted in the South for 6 years and over hunting in 90+ heat)

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I used to do it alot, Indiana season always comes in August 15th. Haven't hunted them as much lately but used to get 75 to 90 per year between Indiana and Ohio. A .22 with a scope, head shots only, is the only way to go.

Buckmaster

Portage
Squirrel season. Haven't really done it in 30 years but it wouldn't take too long as I do have a few.

Attachments

• Squirrel (2).jpg
    Squirrel (2).jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 173

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive been a few times in the past few years, im gonna try to take my daughter out this season, i miss doing it and rabbit hunting it was a daily thing when i was younger. the squirrels and rabbits feared me back in the day lol. now im more into not running deer out and all that stuff but im gonna go back to what was fun.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I picked up a .22 air rifle this year to try squirrel for the first time. Any tips on the best way to cook them?

Brown them lightly with a light batter like drakes or flour, similar to the way you would fried chicken. Then take them and put them in a slow cooker or crockpot and add cream of mushroom soup to them and a little bit of water. Let them slow cook for about 8 hours. Meat will fall off the bone and will be delicious.

BCamp

Dayton
Brown them lightly with a light batter like drakes or flour, similar to the way you would fried chicken. Then take them and put them in a slow cooker or crockpot and add cream of mushroom soup to them and a little bit of water. Let them slow cook for about 8 hours. Meat will fall off the bone and will be delicious.

Thanks, sounds great.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I bring to a boil and then cover / simmer them until I can easily stick a fork in the meat (I think it's around 2 hours or so). After that I sometimes leave it on the bone, sometimes take the meat off, batter / fry or just eat plain with some wing sauce, just depends on what I'm in the mood for.