Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

fall food plot question

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I'm in the process of planting my fall food plot and need some opinions, I am planting Oats, White clover and Winter peas, the clover is going to be a stand alone plot and the question I have is would it be better to plant the oats and peas mixed in the same plot or do two different plots will one over power the other or will they work well together? thanks in advance!
IMG_20160810_203315228.jpgIMG_20160810_195029127_HDR.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'd mix them. I don't think you'll get to much out of the peas this late. It'll be a nice draw. Oats add a lot of browse for the deer. I would add some radish or turnips to that mix as well.

Oats, peas, brassicas- mix and seed

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Also consider mixing winter rye with your clover. It will provide a cover crop for the clover in the spring to help compete with the weeds. Just mow it off before it heads out early next summer.

arjay

S.E. Ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1471174343434.jpguploadfromtaptalk1471174358216.jpg

Well I went ahead and put the oats in with the peas, the clover I'm going to go ahead and leave stand alone. Thanks for the advice I'll try to keep growth pics updated! Thanks again!

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I've been reading stuff non stop for months the more I read the more I get confused with conflicting "facts" this is my first large food plot most I've ever done are small woods "kill plots" with deer specific plot mixes.... I hope it works out

Last edited:
Here is a great saved forum convo from the QDMA forum regarding the benefits of winter rye: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B6swuBy07G1jZ3lIOFc2eGNUYmc

It really helped me understand how it works and why rye is so beneficial, not only for attracting deer, but for building soil too. I opened up a new plot this year and put down buckwheat about a month ago, and plan on throwing WR into it and mowing the BW down over top in September. The BW has been growing well, even with no fertilizer or lime. Guess you could call it a poor man's plot.