Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Champion generator fix

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Well I finally got around to tinkering with my 6.5yr old Champion generator that died that sweltering hot Friday at Mingo. I tore the carb apart 3x this weekend, removed fuel tank/emptied/cleaned, changed/gapped plugs and just kept going until i ran out of stuff to tweak after messing with governor arms and springs to no luck. I got it back to running at a low/bogged down state with no load so topped off with fresh fuel and seafoam to see if maybe something would break free. As soon as i would load it/hit governor arm it would choke out....bummer. Hooked up camper smart-surge protector and discovered it was only putting out 44hz.

Decided to call Champion today to see what they thought. Frenchie said he never heard of it before, asked for a few minutes to chat with his coworkers. Came back and offered to send a new AVR (automatic voltage regulator). My experience is this only affects voltage but hey, what the hell. Free part, im in! I just got home and removed the old AVR....son of a bitch she will run right thru the RPM range. Fingers crossed the new one works but thought it was good info to share. Will report back when part arrives later this week.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
now I got something to look forward to
oh the suspense
:smiley_coolpeace:

I hope the bitch works and runs like a scalded dog for another 6 years

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, I'll be. Who would have thought they would have shipped one out on a 6-7yr old generator. Good stuff!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Well, I'll be. Who would have thought they would have shipped one out on a 6-7yr old generator. Good stuff!

Exactly, GREAT customer service! I was just hoping to see if a tech would start to share some info. I was skeptical of the suggested fix but decided to see if it would run with it not connected. She fired up and purred like a kitten, hot damn. Guy says he'll send one for free, fugg ya!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was just wondering over the weekend what you ever found out about that. Good to know so when it hits mine lol. I'm also glad to hear they stand behind their product and will take care of it and the customer years after the purchase. Can't wait to see if it fixes it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Exactly, GREAT customer service! I was just hoping to see if a tech would start to share some info. I was skeptical of the suggested fix but decided to see if it would run with it not connected. She fired up and purred like a kitten, hot damn. Guy says he'll send one for free, fugg ya!

Just saw a new in the box on a local buy,sell, trade 4K watts for 300.00

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
She's ALIVE!:pickle::smiley_clap::smiley_cheers:

The new AVR arrived today. Below is the old one, noticed it is kidney bean shaped vs the new square version:

IMG_4829.JPG
IMG_4830.JPG

First thing I thought was they sent me an incorrect, new part (black box with wires coming of each end). Gave it a shot to see if mounting holes line up and they do and only one way thankfully...whew:

IMG_4828.JPG

Mounted the new AVR, made the connections, choked her, pulled and she fired up. Switched choke off, let her warm up and decided to test it on non-sensitive equipment. Hooked up the air compressor and it fired right up and ran no problem. Added a few more lights, radio, etc. and watched as the frequency got up to around 48hz. Some adjustment on the governor screw was all that was needed and we were sitting at 60hz. Only issue is the Progressive EMS was throwing E3 error, or Open Ground. This is a problem since I use the genny to run the RV and the RV is not getting hooked up without the EMS. As long as the open ground existed, it will not allow power to pass through. Time to put Champion Tech Service to work again.

Prior to it dying, it would never throw a code on the EMS. Another call to Champion Power and wahh-laaa! The old AVR must have had a minor defect as the US models (non GFI outlet versions) did not have a ground wire to close the loops it has had an open ground since day 1. The tech walked me through which terminals to connect a small gage wire to and that closes the loop. This is a common code difference between the USA and our comrades to the north. New ground wire installed to close the loop:

IMG_4831.JPG

Repeated same sequence of non-sensitive equipment through hooking up the EMS....no open ground, E0 (no errors)! At this point I can't help but smile. Champion has came through not only on the tech service side but also in the warranty/replacement parts department too. After hours of tinkering Sunday morning, I was ready to pull the plug and just buy a new one. I won't lie and say that I am a bit nervous about her reliability at this standpoint, but after 100's of hours and a few new parts, she is purring right along. The voltage is higher than I would like, but I trust the EMS to keep the RV safe. She's dialed in at 60hz:smiley_coolpeace:

Video
[video]http://vid688.photobucket.com/albums/vv247/anickle741/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.7714E2E0-BD5F-4634-988D-9C227CD93AA9_zpsxilmyi0r.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Awesome stuff man. Glad it was able to be fixed and at little to no cost to you. Can't get any better then that. Now we know why yours has a different plug setup then mine. You got the Canadian one and I have the USA version lol.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Joe, please change that picture, just plain creepy!!

I appreciate the nice comments guys. I posted this because I am HIGHLY impressed with Champion and because there were a handful of fellas offering a hand that Friday morning and we all thought engine related. I would bet 100% against the AVR being an issue, but it makes sense that it was doing its job by shutting down due to high voltage since it was toast. Hopefully more ppl can use these findings and have similar success with Champion Power.