Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Refill Thermocell cartridges

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I saw a YouTube video and tried it. After a few attempts, I was able to fill them.
1. Remove the brass valve with a pliers.

2. Remove the check valve by screwing in a drywall screw about 4 turns and then pull it out with a pliers. Throw away.

3. Reinsert the brass fitting and make sure it snaps in.
4. I used Scripto brand butane and sanded the tip diameter down to fit the valve. Worked perfect.

$2.99 for the can. I filled four cartridges and can fill probably three more. If the cartridge stops filling, release some pressure with the screw and it will fill again.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is one of those things I can't see me doing, but I love when guys find better ways to do stuff. I don't go through them that fast and for the cost, combined with my time to do this, I'll just buy a new one when I need it. As it is, they last me 6 months cause I rarely use it. Bugs just aren't that bad down here.

Good stuff Mike!

Bigcountry40

Thats awesome, one question- What about the blue cardboard like insert, those things go white quickly, doesnt that need to be "fresh or unused" to create the chemical reaction for thermalcell to work correctly.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thats awesome, one question- What about the blue cardboard like insert, those things go white quickly, doesnt that need to be "fresh or unused" to create the chemical reaction for thermalcell to work correctly.
I honestly have way more pads than I have fuel. I must not be changing them out quick enough.