Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Goose

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lol. I don't get too worked up about it but I try to get on some geese a time or two in the early season. I get more fired up for doves and teal. Geese are just a bonus.

Wmiller07

You keep your deer, I'll shoot birds. I've got a few wheat fields scouted that are holding quite a few geese. I just need to get permission. I enjoy dove hunting too, but goose hunting is my favorite.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You keep your deer, I'll shoot birds. I've got a few wheat fields scouted that are holding quite a few geese. I just need to get permission. I enjoy dove hunting too, but goose hunting is my favorite.
It definitely is a shit load of fun shooting a bunch of early season geese in the face. Good chance and getting some bling too!

jonpgilbert2

Bring on the sky carp I got a new yellow lab puppy about a month ago he won't hunt this year but me and my boy are pumped!!!!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have too many places for resident geese to hang out where you can't hunt. It's not worth the effort to hunt early goose for me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It'll be here soon. Kinda stinks they shortened the early season but I am looking forward to Feb hunting days. I need to order case of shells and can't decide between hevi metal #2s or Fasteel #1s. I like the hevimetal but those fasteeel 1s seem to shoot really really well out of my gun/choke . Feel like I could just point at the sky and shoot and something will fall.
Our teal season here is really a crapshoot so I have trouble getting to excited. Been seeing a lot of geese in wheat fields but I'm sure they will be long gone come season. As dry as its been I'm counting on sileage being chopped like crazy by then. I've got permission at all my go to spots, start scouting heavy here in a few weeks.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It'll be here soon. Kinda stinks they shortened the early season but I am looking forward to Feb hunting days. I need to order case of shells and can't decide between hevi metal #2s or Fasteel #1s. I like the hevimetal but those fasteeel 1s seem to shoot really really well out of my gun/choke . Feel like I could just point at the sky and shoot and something will fall.
Our teal season here is really a crapshoot so I have trouble getting to excited. Been seeing a lot of geese in wheat fields but I'm sure they will be long gone come season. As dry as its been I'm counting on sileage being chopped like crazy by then. I've got permission at all my go to spots, start scouting heavy here in a few weeks.
I ordered the 3.5" 2's hevi metal. I normally go with 3's (instant death on ducks and geese) but wanted to try something different. Hard to go wrong with Kent though too.

Wmiller07

Yah they are all over wheat fields. And if Kent's shoot well for you i would stick with those.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hevi metal 2 and bb have shot good to. But I don't think noticeably better than Kent
I always shot Kent as well and it patterned great too. But what I found at least with my gun and choke is that the heavy metal just hit them so much harder. I get way less cripples now than I ever did with Kent.