Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vintage Rifle Match at Camp Perry

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yesterday a friend, Bill, and I went to Camp Perry to shoot the Vintage Military Rifle Match. You can use any standard "as issued" bolt action rifle from any country.
I took my Swiss K31 that I had at Mingo. Its chambered in 7.5X55mm and pretty much duplicates .308 Win. M1917 Enfields, various Mausers and Swiss straight pulls are the most commonly used rifles.

You have 3 stages, all shot from 200 yards. Stage 1 is slow prone and you have 15 minutes to fire 5 sighters then 10 shots for score. Stage 2 you start from a standing position with a loaded magazine and an open bolt. You have 80 seconds to drop into the prone position fire 10 shots, must include a magazine change (or charge from a clip). Stage 3 is 10 minutes to fire 10 rounds offhand.

Bill borrowed my Swiss 96/11. Its an older model, same chambering but its a much longer rifle.

All shooters take turns in the pits pulling and scoring targets. the bull is about 12" in diameter.

a good rapid string target.

Some random pics

I ended up with a score of 223 out of 300. Not great but I didn't have the time to practice like i wanted and the wind was a problem for me offhand(first offhand shot was a complete miss). all in all I'm happy with it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That is very Cool Sam!
Thanks for the write up and picts. I always wanted to try that.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Very cool. I'd like to try that. Cost?

This match cost $40.00. You provide your own rifle and ammo. You get a cool T shirt.

A good way to start is to attend the Small Arms Firing School where they teach the basics of marksmanship, scoring, range operations. They provide rifles and ammo at SAFS. Unfortunately this year it was the same weekend as the TOO summer gathering.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-national-matches/small-arms-firing-schools/

If anyone has any interest I'm no expert but can help with the basics.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Everyone should have K31 and lots of GP11 ammo. I did see some ammo at "Rogers" last Friday but the guy wanted $10 per box of 10 rounds and SOG has some for $39.99 for
60 rounds

Looks like you both had a great time sam. I Went up to camp perry once with a Lithgow no 4 mk 1 and had a great time. I didn't do very well but I didn't know much about target shooting back then. My k31 looks like a beaver chewed the stock and would need a replacement before I'd attempt a shoot with it.