Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

shotgun gurus and rabbit hunters...

Jamie

Ohio
so, it looks as if I may be needing to do some rabbit hunting after the squirrels go underground. I've never owned a quality scattergun, never even shopped for one. not really even sure what I should be looking for, but I've heard the old Winchesters are desirable. I'd like to get an older vintage single shot 20ga for hunting behind hounds. I'm thinking lightweight and sporting. might even consider a pump gun, but think I'd prefer a quality, older single shot. looking for suggestions on what I should try and hunt down.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Any chance a side by side would interest you? I'm considering parting with my Kassnar 20 gauge, modified and full. I'd hoped to leave it for one of my grandsons, but they are more the Pokémon Go type. What a shame.

I feel your pain.

I have some of the old Winchesters (pump) and they cycle smooth as butter.
I guess it all depends on what you consider "old"... I believe if you have a shotgun made in the 40's or 50's and cycle it next to a new one just out of the box you will hear a difference. Old ones sound more solid and mechanical. New ones sound "tinny". Like swinging a new car door shut that is cheaply made. Maybe it's the metal. Maybe the craftsmanship.

I don't mean to get into the " Ford/Chevy" type debate, just old vs new. A cheap New Englander would do to start untill you deside on what you want or untill you can find a old model 12.

Keep us posted and good luck!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
At one time there was a Ithaca 37 feather weight in 20ga. For sale on here. That would make a nice rabbit gun!!! I use a benelli m-2 in 20ga. Not much for looks but it very light and one hell of a shooter!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pick up a .410 side by side or O/U you won't regret it... They're a blast to chase bunnies with and light so carrying all day doesn't come into play....

Jamie

Ohio
yes, I'm thinking 50's, 60's 70's, or before whenever all the gun manufactures went cheapo. I want a solid, functional gun for killing rabbits. does not need to be pretty or collectable. I'm more interested in utility, here. what were the popular single shot 20 gauges back then? I don't think I really want a pump gun. I've been shooting wooden arrows at rabbits for 35 years. I'll manage with one shot shell at a time for now. all that firepower might be dangerous for me, anyway. :p

Jamie

Ohio
J, I happen to already have a Savage model 24, .22 over .410, that belonged to my wife's dad, who died when she was 5 years old. I cleaned it up and shot it when I got it, and it is in what I would consider very good condition, and it shoots. I'll use it some just because of the sentimental value, but a quality old 20 is something I just want to have.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J, I happen to already have a Savage model 24, .22 over .410, that belonged to my wife's dad, who died when she was 5 years old. I cleaned it up and shot it when I got it, and it is in what I would consider very good condition, and it shoots. I'll use it some just because of the sentimental value, but a quality old 20 is something I just want to have.

Completely understand.... Good look on your quest Jamie.... Let us know what you find....

The old Iver Johnson excel 20 ga are very well made. They are a tad heavy but they look more refined than the h&r of the same time period. You can find them for 80 to 120 dollars. The one I own was cut down. I found it in my grandfathers barn.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well Hell. If you want basic utility, how about a over/under in the 22 and 20 gage.
Just throwing it out there for fun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't rule out a bolt action either. Older guns. Utility guns. Sorta different (maybe why I like them). Hard to hurt them. Cn be found d reasonably priced. I have an old Stevens but believe it may be a 16g. Could be 20g.