Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Test run on the canoe today.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My buddy and I got my Canoe in the river today. I was happy to see that we weren't taking on any water after launching it lol. We went about 2 miles down river and then used the Minn Kota 30# trolling motor I just bought to get us back up stream. I ran it off a lawn tractor battery and it lasted longer than I expected, died about 100 yards before we got back to the truck. I need to make a sturdier motor mount, we had a couple issues with the bottom 2×4 not staying under the lip of the canoe. Not bad though for rigging up a mount 10 minutes before we left this morning.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm sure it was a cool feeling to take her out!
Congratulations on the maiden voyage.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We took poles but didn't do a whole lot of fishing. I was hoping to catch a Pike but once we got going I didn't really care about it, it was fun just floating down the river then running the motor back up. That damn trolling motor got it moving pretty good in 5th gear going up stream, mostly kept it in 3rd to conserve battery.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks guys! I forgot to add that my buddy gave me this canoe. I had to do a decent amount of work to it as far as patch work. I bought a fiberglass repair kit and my other buddy gave me some waterproof roofing material that he got from work. It was pretty nice of my buddy to hook me up with it! Hell ya can't find a canoe for less than $275-300 anymore.