Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hawaii bound

Big Weff

Athens
The wife and i just got married in june and are leaving tomorrow for the honeymoon in Honolulu. Just figured i would see if any of you guys had any pointers, things to check out or stay away from. Being I've never been off the continent before all tips appreciated haha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn... Where were all the too invites? Lost in the mail??? lol... Congrats buddy... Enjoy your honeymoon...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Look into Island hopping. You can fly and visit the other islands for pretty cheap. Kauai is a favorite of ours for a day trip. Jungle like.

Relax, enjoy each other and hope you brought plenty of food money. Dinners are quite expensive. Even fast food is twice as much as normal.

The bar under our place was always hopping. We stayed at the Outriggers Waikiki. It is called Dukes.

Qback5

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy! I was fortunate enough to "have" to travel there for work 2 years ago. Sure is a neat place. I second the recommendation to island hop if possible (though I didn't get TOO). On Oahu (where honolulu), if you can rent a car, I would recommend it. Getting out of Honolulu really opens your eyes to what's there. My favs, in no particular order, include: 1) In honolulu, the ice cream pie at Duke's, 2) Lanikai beach --- you can rent a kayak for TOO and take a fun trip to the just off-shore little islands with some lunch (very neat), 3) North Shore (and be sure TOO eat at Kono's - crazy good), 4) hike TOO Maunawili Fall (and jump off), 5) get to high ground and enjoy the view.

Have fun! Will look forward to your updates...

Big Weff

Athens
Just got up to our room in time to watch fireworks on the ocean. uploadfromtaptalk1468738654099.jpg Made that whole shit ass day of travel worth it to see peytons face light up when we got here, now she wants to do some night walking on the beach. 🍺

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice to see they still do the Friday night fireworks. Like others have said, enjoy some time in Honolulu but make sure you make it to the north shore. Great food and a whole other side of Hawaii. Take at least one day to get out away from everyone to the most secluded beach you can find. Plan an entire day away from the touristy stuff and get out and get connected with what Hawaii actually is. Sushi. Not sure if you like it, but even if you've tried it here and hate it try it in Hawaii. World of difference and the best I've ever had. Try a Hawaiian dish called a poke bowl.

Visit Pearl Harbor if you can stomach the fact that it's crawling with japs.

Keep your wits about your property. While major crime is low, petty property crime like theft is through the roof. While at the beach I would take a big ziploc bag and put our valuables in it like keys and wallets then as I sat there nonchalantly burry it in the sand under our other stuff. This way if someone snatches your bag while you're swimming they won't get anything important.

Enjoy your stay in paradise. My son is stationed on Oahu and the wife and I just returned from our second 2 week visit. As others have noted, Pearl Harbor is worth the visit though the Arizona memorial was closed for boat dock repair but was scheduled for reopening soon. Rent a car and take H3 east to 83, beautiful drive along the coast up to North Shore. Hit the food trucks on North Shore (Woody's BBQ sweet corn is the best). Also take H1 west until it dead ends into 93. The west coast is not frequented by tourists and during weekdays you'll find beaches almost empty.