Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Habitat and food plot info.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Corn is as good a habitat cover as it is for food. Most people use corn wrong in my opinion.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Corn is as good a habitat cover as it is for food. Most people use corn wrong in my opinion.

We have a 10 acre field that we plant our plots in. We use 5 acres of the field for our plots. We have been using corn more as a buffer planting 28 rows from one end of the field to the other, About 300 yards long. This has made the deer much more comfortable being out in the middle of our plots.
In August I will brush hog a trail through the corn crossways in the middle, This will make the deer coming out of the wood head for the middle of the plot to cross through the corn via the trail. Putting them in shooting range of our blind on the woods edge.
years ago corn was the only thing we planted and we were disappointed. We then added clover and beans and were still disappointed. We just didn't have enough for it to last thru the hunting season with 3 acres. Last year we had 5.5 acres and had food thru the ml season. This year we planted 1 acre of corn instead of 3. we are going to plant an acre of forage oats with rye. and a acre of brassicas with the 2.5 acres of beans. Beans and corn are easy for us with the farmer doing the planting. But after seeing how well the neighbors plots did last year with the brassicas and oats we have to give it a try. Time will tell and were hoping for the best.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We have a 10 acre field that we plant our plots in. We use 5 acres of the field for our plots. We have been using corn more as a buffer planting 28 rows from one end of the field to the other, About 300 yards long. This has made the deer much more comfortable being out in the middle of our plots.
In August I will brush hog a trail through the corn crossways in the middle, This will make the deer coming out of the wood head for the middle of the plot to cross through the corn via the trail. Putting them in shooting range of our blind on the woods edge.
years ago corn was the only thing we planted and we were disappointed. We then added clover and beans and were still disappointed. We just didn't have enough for it to last thru the hunting season with 3 acres. Last year we had 5.5 acres and had food thru the ml season. This year we planted 1 acre of corn instead of 3. we are going to plant an acre of forage oats with rye. and a acre of brassicas with the 2.5 acres of beans. Beans and corn are easy for us with the farmer doing the planting. But after seeing how well the neighbors plots did last year with the brassicas and oats we have to give it a try. Time will tell and were hoping for the best.
Your on the right track! Keep doing what your doing. Throw some turnips in there also. I'm a big fan of oats myself